Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Honey Ginger "IPA"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uknowwh00

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
white labs california ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
??
Final Gravity
??
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
light amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
carbed in keg for additional 15 days
Tasting Notes
delicious match of cascade hops and a slight hint of ginger.
just thought i'd share this recipe because after dabbling in the ginger brew a few times i finally came up with something i can be proud of :tank:...
This ale comes through with just a slight hint of ginger rather than my not so successful attempts before which tasted like biting into a whole ginger root..in my opinion dry hopping the cascades compliments the ginger nicely. the clover honey addition was pretty much an after thought while it was in the kettle..(found it in the cabinet and thought "why not?":D)... great summer brew IMO.. to those looking for a nicely bitter spiced beer... brew on and enjoy.. CHEERS!!::cross:
2lbs crystal malt 80
.5lbs carapils malt
steep grains at 155F to 160F for 30 minutes
at rolling boil add 6.6lbs light dme
1oz. cluster hops (60 min. boil)
1oz cluster hops (30 min. boil)
2oz. fresh grated ginger (15 min. boil)
1lbs clover honey (15 min boil)
1 tbsp irish moss (15 min. boil)
1 oz hallertau hops (flame out)
primary ferment 15 days with WL001 cali ale yeast
secondary with 1 oz cascade hops for additional 15 days.

hmmm just reread this and forgot to put the 6.6lbs light dme..... most important part... my mistake

Sounds awesome! I've been looking for a ginger IPA recipe and I'm going to try this. I'll let you know how mine turns out! Thanks for sharing =)

I shall be trying a slight modification of this recipe. It sounds delicious though!! :)

I just brewed this today with 5 oz of shredded ginger. I didn't account for the additional time needed to filter the ginger (using my janky filter setup). Smelled delicious the entire time though! Will update when finished.

Nice to see people trying this recipe out. Hope you all enjoy it. I know I did. I olan o. Doing another batch with some citra hops soon. Let me know how it all turns out guys. Cheers!

Yeah. Thats how my lhbs sells it.. it's roughly 3kg prepackaged..... I forget who makes it at the moment..

Alright. This recipe is definitely an amber as opposed to an IPA. The caramel from the crystal 80 is huge! I love this beer though. Like I said before, I upped the ginger to 5 oz shredded which brought it to the forefront but still wasn't overpowering. Great job uknowwh00!

I made another batch of it 3 weeks ago, modifying it further. I swapped half the light extract for Munich LME and gave it an IPA dryhop with 2 oz each of centennial and citra. Attempting to emphasize the amber-ness but again give it a more citrusy, sharp hop aroma rather than grassy/earthy of cascade/hallertau.

Recipe type: extract with steeping grains
Yeast: WLP001 California Ale
Batch Size: 5 gal
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.018
ABV: 4.6%
Total boil: 60 min
Color: dark amber
Fermentation: 14 days in primary, one week dry hop in secondary
Tasting notes: Huge hop nose that initially completely blankets the beer and covers up the ginger completely. After two weeks the hops are dissipating, leaving a deliciously caramel beer with strong honey flavor and hints of ginger.

Thanks for the idea OP! It's quite good, my best brew yet!

Steeping grains: steep @ 155F for 25 min
2# crystal 80L
0.5# carapils

Boil:
1oz Cluster pellets (60 min)
3# golden light DME (45 min)
3.3# Munich malt LME (45 min)
1oz cluster pellets (30 min)
18oz raw clover honey (15 min)
5oz peeled, shredded/grated ginger (15 min)
1oz hallertau pellets (2 min)

Secondary: one week dry hop
2oz citra pellets
2oz centennial pellets

Glad you enjoyed it. Im sure the citra gives it a nice taste. Probably my favorite hop out there! I just recently brewed an all grain version of this recipe with a citra dry hop. Its gonna be a little on the lighter side because im still tweaking my ag setup but delicious no doubt. Its keg conditioning right now. Ill post that recipe when I get a chance... drink on my friends!

I just did an AG version of it also! :mug: I diversified my crystal malts but otherwise kept it the same as what I posted earlier.

Back