Maris Otter LME fermentability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm02WS6

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the relatively new Maris Otter LME from Northern Brewer? I'm curious what your perception of its fermentability is. This will be my first time using it and I'm trying to decide if I put a little sugar in to help get the FG around 1.010-1.012. I expect it to finish a little higher, just not sure if it is enough to make a difference. NB's website says "excellent fermentability" but there's a review saying the opposite.

I'm planning two brews with this MO LME, both SMASH recipes, one with Simcoe and the other with Columbus. The OG will be 1.054 and I'll use Nottingham, oxygenated with pure O2 and fermented in the low 60's. I've had no trouble getting 80%-plus attenuation out of similar recipes, just want to finish closer to 1.010 instead of 1.015 if I can help it.

Havent tried the MO extract from NB. Its on my list of extracts to try though. I have a porter in mind that I would love to use that for.

I have used it but it was on a barley wine. It is going to be at least another month till I look at it. brewed in September.

I just brewed an ESB with 6lbs of Maris Otter LME and 1lb of DME on Saturday. I was wondering the same thing. Had an OG of 1.055, pitched S04 yeast. Hoping it doesn't get stuck at 1.020. I'm going to check the FG in a day or two and let you know.

I just used the new light MO in an Irish Ale. OG was 1.053, FG was 1.011. No starter. Fermented 60-62 F with Wyeast 1084. Warmed up to 65 F for 5 days. I tasted after 1 week in bottle and it is excellent. I put the recipe on Recipe/Ingreds section.

Does anyone have any experience with the relatively new Maris Otter LME from Northern Brewer? I'm curious what your perception of its fermentability is. This will be my first time using it and I'm trying to decide if I put a little sugar in to help get the FG around 1.010-1.012. I expect it to finish a little higher, just not sure if it is enough to make a difference. NB's website says "excellent fermentability" but there's a review saying the opposite.

I'm planning two brews with this MO LME, both SMASH recipes, one with Simcoe and the other with Columbus. The OG will be 1.054 and I'll use Nottingham, oxygenated with pure O2 and fermented in the low 60's. I've had no trouble getting 80%-plus attenuation out of similar recipes, just want to finish closer to 1.010 instead of 1.015 if I can help it.

It's all about yeast health.

Back