Camlocks - Which side for coupling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt3989

Reaction score
I've searched through and read quite a few threads, it seems like most people attach the coupling side of the camlock to the hose, to me it seems like it would make things less cumbersome to have the coupling side of the camlock on the equipment with the adapters on the hoses. I don't have any experience using camlocks though, so I could be way off.

Also, I didn't see the "big C" type anywhere, is that style still around? if not, is it worth is to go with a D type and screw in a 5/8" hose barb?

Sorry, I'm sure you guys deal with a ton of "which camlocks/qd's are right for me?" questions.... but after searching and coming up empty, I figured I'd let some bored member set me straight.

I'm going from a ball valve to a plate chiller to a fermenter. I would like to be somewhat future proof (things that won't restrict pumps) and on the cold side of the chiller I was just going to continue to use a FPT hose barb until I buy a triclamp.

I have the Type B coupler on each end of the hoses. The 1/2 silicon hose was able to be fit over the threads with no issues. Not sure if this is the way others do it but I have found it to be best. I put those on the hoses rather than the adapters because if I drop the hose on the ground or ding it on something, No harm no foul. This is the main reason why people put the couplers on the hoses..

Thanks guys, that was just what I needed, I knew I read a thread where BobbyM said he had the Big C type, but I was looking at BrewersHardware.com instead of BrewHardware.com...

Megalomami has it right. You have to actuate the camlock and if you put it on the pot it will be boiling hot, even with a heat shield in place.

Also, the camlocks you install at each end of your hoses will get much more abuse while brewing... You hit them around, drop them on the floor, etc. It really doesn't matter if you damage the outside of your female camlocks, therefore it's better to install them on the hoses... If you damage the male camlocks, it might prevent you from getting a good seal.

Plus of course the temperature...

I almost made that mistake myself but I'm happy I read the forum about it...

Back