Carb tabs no worky!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodeebryan

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal. I kegged 5 gallons if my beer. That's all good. I also bottled a 12 pack if the same beer I kegged. I capped the bottles set them a side to condition. A few days later I was reading through all my notes and realized I didn't drop any if the carb tabs in the bottles. Oops! ( I had never kegged before so I wasn't used to using th tabs. ). So I popped open the bottles heard a bit I'd cO2 release dropped in 1 carb tab per bottle. It's now been 4-5 weeks. I opened a couple of the bottles and no carbonation. What's the deal?

Ok I'm dumb. Guess I should read the package! Ha! And can I now drop in more and re cap em? I'll bring them out of the fridge and let warm back up them drop in 3-4 more tabs. Maybe give it a little shake?

Yes if they are the "little tabs" they take 4-5 if they are the larger ones (i think the only ones made now) that look like pieces of rock candy then its one per bottle. I have used them and have had great results.

At my two local shops one had the little tabs and one had the big tabs. I've used the big tabs for my last two batches and really like them compared to mixing in priming sugar. Sure I can't control the level of carbonation, but I like having a consistent amount of priming sugar in each bottle. I'm interested in knowing how the smaller ones work out. I had read about them causing clarity issues, so I've avoided them, but I think being able to dial up/down carbonation with them sounds great.

Well I'll post how it turns out. I'll add more tonight. Should I warm up the bottles to room temp? Then leave to condition at room temp since they have been in fridge for a couple of weeks?

Well I'll post how it turns out. I'll add more tonight. Should I warm up the bottles to room temp? Then leave to condition at room temp since they have been in fridge for a couple of weeks?

Yes, get the beer to room temp so the yeast will be active and ready to ferment the sugar.

Back