Apfelwein Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggy

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Last night, I made Ed's Apfelwein recipe down to the T, put it in the sanitized carboy, put on the airlock (filled with vodka) and set it in the closet. 24 hours later, the airlock is bubbling once to two times every second. It is really cranking and I am questioning if this is normal?

Here is a pic of the Apfelwein:

IMG_3146.jpg

Is that normal?

Greg

Thanks for the reply's. Happy Thanks Giving everyone.

I woke up this morning and the airlock is TOTALLY filled with apfelwein. I am planning on quickly switching out the airlock with another one. IS that ok?!

Greg

Sure, I would also sprits the carboy cap or stopper with some sanitizer too.

Greggy said:
Thanks for the reply's. Happy Thanks Giving everyone.

I woke up this morning and the airlock is TOTALLY filled with apfelwein. I am planning on quickly switching out the airlock with another one. IS that ok?!

Greg

For the next batch, don't fill all the way to the neck of the carboy. Apple Juice jugs are known to have more than a gallon in them. The pic below shows the proper level on the Better Bottles on the left & right. The middle one started to blow foam in the airlock.

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg

Just replace the airlock with a freshly sanitized one and you are good to go.

Thanks! I just replaced it and it looks good to go. I will keep an eye out for it. I have a feeling that it won't be the last time I will have to do it.

Greg

Greggy said:
Thanks! I just replaced it and it looks good to go. I will keep an eye out for it. I have a feeling that it won't be the last time I will have to do it.

Greg

Remember to take Ed's advice and start another batch right away. You'll be glad you did once you start drink'in it, cause it won't last long! Notice he has three carboy's going at all times. :cross:

Back