Orange wine smells like perm marker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainLongneck

Reaction score
So I made an orange wine using the same concept as any 'from concentrate' recipe.

Got them bottled (with sediments unfortunately) and after a few months in the bottle, figured I'd pop one and see how they are going (in 12 oz bottles)

Got one open and it smells horribly of magic marker... What's up?

Oh, that's not good! That sounds like you've got some "volatile acidity", in other words, a bacterial contamination that is ruining the wine.

Normally, sulfites help prevent this so I'm assuming you didn't use sulfites when bottling the wine.

Unfortunately, this is no fix at this point.

Is it maybe just a real hot alcohol smell?
I could see the corelation between the two.

But how did they taste, ok?? You know, there are lots of fruit wines and melomels that come out smelling like chemicals when fermented. I'm also on board to learn how to avoid such problems.

It's taste was what I was expecting, slightly sweet orange flavor. I based the recipe off of a ore mixed bottled screwdriver. So as fab as flavor and appearance goes... Spot on..

I'd like no bottle sediments of course.... And smelling like a marker is an obvious turnoff...

But I used campden when racking, then again with potassium sorbate at bottling...

Def won't let anyone drink this... But I want the recipe to work

could just be how orange wine smells, If you dont see any floaters then it probably does not have a bacterial infection. Yooper may think so but we really cant tell without looking at the "sediment"

Back