Peach Mead Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
While this question is about my peach mead that I am currently making, it really applies to any mead with fruit in the secondary.

I let my mead sit in 6 pounds of peaches for two weeks in the secondary. Today I moved it to a carboy for its third fermentation to clarify it.

When I was siphoning the mead into the carboy I noticed little pieces of peach got sucked up with the mead. Is it ok to let those small pieces of peaches sit for the duration of the third fermentation? This is probably going to be a month or so.

Or do I need to get those pieces of peaches out by straining the mead through some cheese cloth or something similar? Of course I'd be super carful not to oxidize it. :)

Leave it there, it will be fine. My peach wine had whole peaches in the carboy for 2 month with no issues. I would expect no less from meads. I have had apples, oranges, & grapes all siting in primary/secondary of my meads for 2 - 3 months and they tasted great. A few chunks should cause no issues. Is it very clear by now? Did you use any pectic enzyme in your recipe?

Awesome! Thanks for the help.

It isn't clear, but it has only been sitting for a few hours now. :)

I didn't use pectic enzymes. What is the purpose of that?

When I started my peach wine everyone yelled at me to make sure to add pectic enzyme so that the pectins get broken down. Peaches seem to have a lot of pectin in them. It gets hard to clear anything with lots of pectin in it. This will not really affect taste and such but may not be as clear as you may like.

Hmmmm.... Is it too late to use pectin enzymes at this point?

Also, I'm planning on letting it sit in third fermenter for a month or two. Then, I am going to keg it and let it sit until next May when I will tap it for my birthday. It seems like all that time should help it clear up. Or does the pectin make it so all that time won't really matter?

Just let it sit until no more sediment drops out. I am sure it will be fine. Just makes it a lot easier with the pectic enzyme added up front.

Latest posts

Back