First full boil, intense fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
I did my first full boil on a fat tyre extract monday. The thing is fermenting crazy now. It looks like theres a pump , pumping the wort around in the carboy, sediments are swirrling all around, it looks pretty sweet. I found myself staring into it for a while yesterday.

Is this because I boiled the whole batch? Or just maybe the strain of yeast i used?

Im definatly not complaining, just curious.

My first full boil also had a really nice active fermentation. I also had a lot of cold break which made the movement more visible.

Dan

Yeah, I had a nice cold break too since it was also my first time with the wort chiller.

Tophe96 said:
Yeah, I had a nice cold break too since it was also my first time with the wort chiller.
Yup..it might be that the fermentation is more visible. I know it was with me..I had a lot of cold break flying around inside and yeast swirling..I sat and watched it a couple times for over an hour:D

Dan

I can relate to staring at your carboy for hours.

This batch of dubbel I have in seoncdary provided me with hours of enjoyment. I double pitched it with a fast acting dry ale yeast as well as the White Labs Trappist yeast, so it started quickly with a fairly normal fermentation, then on day two completely took off with all the wild estery goodness that only a trappist style yeast can provide. It seriously looked like my carboy was boiling underneath the krausen. My wife would make fun of me when she'd find me in there at night, laying on the floor staring at my carboy as it bubbled away.

This will be the longest 6 months while I wait for the dubbel to condition, but it should be worth it.

Back