Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimseven

Reaction score
I've bottled 8 batches now, using priming sugar for carbonation. Every single batch has carbonated unevenly. Some bottles will be ready in 4 weeks, some need 4 more weeks at least. Is there a trick to getting it to carbonate evenly? Should I be using something other than priming sugar?

slimseven said:
I've bottled 8 batches now, using priming sugar for carbonation. Every single batch has carbonated unevenly. Some bottles will be ready in 4 weeks, some need 4 more weeks at least. Is there a trick to getting it to carbonate evenly? Should I be using something other than priming sugar?

I use priming sugar also and put in the bottling bucket first and then rack from primary or secondary on top of boiled sugar water
Sounds like it may possibly not being mixed evenly thru your beer
You can always stir it in with a sanitized spoon also

I was wondering about stirring it. I've heard you aren't supposed to and just leave the priming sugar on the bottom. I will stir it up next batch and see how it goes.

It's ok to gently stir i have done it both ways with and without with no ill effects

I should say gently stir I don't think you are supposed to splash it around

OP, don't just dump the sugar in - dry sugar is virtually impossible to mix properly.

You need to boil it in a cup or two of water for a minute or two. Pour that in the bucket first. When you rack on top of that, the swirling will mix it for you. Some still stri gently, but I've always had even carbonation without doing this.

I boil the sugar for 3 minutes, let it cool and then dump it into the bucket first. I'll try stirring, but like you said, I shouldn't have to. the swirling should be enough.

The only other thing i could think of is if there is big variation in storage temperature which seems unlikely unless part is stored next to a furnace or water heater or something? Or an exterior wall?

Back