forgot to buy steeping bag - alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregfreemyer

Reaction score
I've done a couple kits and they came with all the consumables. Today i went to the lhbs and bought a recipe.

I didn't really go through what i bought until I got home.

First I noticed they did not give me any cinnamon. My wife has tons of that so no issue.

Then i realized they didn't put a steeping bag in my box.

Anyway, i don't want to drive back just for that, what's a good alternative i might have at home or a local grocery store?

Thanks
Greg

Pantyhose?

Cheese cloth?

If you can go to home depot, get a paint strainer bag?

5 gallon paint straining bag. Can be cleaned and re-used.

When I started 15 years ago, I just used a strainer with a handle and scooped the grains out of the pot. Swirled it around several times and got most out. No problem.

Cheese cloth, but you may have to split your grains up into multiple smaller bags.

Laundry bags (the kind you wash delicates in) work great. They're no more than 2 or 3 bucks and they come in different sizes. You can even get them with a zipper so that you can just toss it in and stir away without dealing with untying the bag when you're done.

You can steep the grains in your bottling or fermenting bucket then pour out the contents through a strainer. I can't remember which one, but I saw this o an episode of brewing tv

+1 on the cheese cloth... it's a very versatile thing to have around.

i would go to the local grocery and get some just to have around.

I finally brewed this tonight.

My wife found a "soup sack" at the local grocery store. I used two of those. (Too many grains for just one.) They came 3 to a box. No idea what they cost.

Voraus said:
You can steep the grains in your bottling or fermenting bucket then pour out the contents through a strainer. I can't remember which one, but I saw this o an episode of brewing tv

I saw that episode too. They also looked for a onesy ( however you spell that) to steep in. I guess you tie off the bottom pour in grain then tie the top. Not sure what SWMBO would think of that idea.

just use a dirty sock lol

I used a CLEAN sock one time as an emergency steeping bag. It seemed to work perfectly. I did heat up a pot of water and boil the sock for a few minutes and then rinsed the crap out of it in the sink to remove any residual detergent/softener/perfumes that may have been in the fabric before filling it with the grains, though!

The beer was good, and I did not die, so it all worked out in the end! :rockin:

Back