Is my first batch ruined

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I put my first batch in the fermenting bucket yesterday afternoon about 530. Last night at 10 o'clock there was no bubbles in the airlock. Sometime overnight the the lid busted off of the bucket, and wort was all over the wall. I placed the lid back on the bucket, and put the airlock back in the top. There is now a steady stream of bubbles in the airlock. Will my first batch be ruined or do I need to start over

RDWHAHB
You are most likely fine. The fact that you blew your lid and now have a steady bubble is a great sign of a strong fermentation. Even though the lid came off and the beer was "exposed", at that point it was cranking out so much C02 that there was very little chance of anything getting in to contaminate the beer. I've had the same thing happen to me and I would bet 90% of the brewers on here have as well.

I'm hoping you wiped everything down with a clean sanitized cloth and re-sanitized your air-lock before you put it back in. If you didn't, then just know that for next time. But either way, you should definitely not pitch this to start over. It is most likely fine.

Good luck and hang in there. The first batch is nerve wracking Try to relax and enjoy the process. I'm sure you made some great beer.

Cheers.

It's so tempting just to reply "yes" To all of these "Is my beer ruined" threads. I just can't do it though. Your beer will most likely be fine. Relax, don't worry. Have a craft brew.

Now get a blow off tube and rig it up or you might blow the lid off again.

I always start each fermentation with a blow off tube attached and have never had to clean krausen off the ceiling or wall.

Also, what is the temperature of your wort. If it is above 70 degrees set up a swamp cooler asap and get the temperature down.

Back