silly mistake...WAY too much crystal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So I bought a bunch of .5 and 1.0lb packages of specialty grains for a host of brews coming up. Well I just brewed a sierra nevada pale ale clone that is bubbling away in primary to keg and bring home to my dad since he is just getting into craft brews and this is his current favorite.

After grabbing my .5lb of C60 and crushing all my grain, doing the mash, blah blah. I realize this beer is WAY to dark for SN PA. But I figure might as well keep going. After I get done, I go back through my inventory. There I discover a .5lb bag of C60 and I am missing a 1lb bag of C60...well...1.052 beer with 1 lb of C60 and mashed at 154? They say everyone likes sweets for the holidays right? lol.
*sigh* perhaps it wont be TOO bad. I could always add sugar...

Yet one more story to add to the list of "label your bags...now"

Just made the some mistake. End of the year brew, and ended up mixing left over grain. and used 1.5lb crystal 15l. to a 13lb. grain bill. Currently in primary, fermenting away. Is there any way to balance this beer out, or is it to late?

I did the exact same thing on probably the same recipe. Except for the color, it was fine. I mashed it 2* cooler than normal.

It's gonna be delicious, quit worrying about it RIGHT NOW. I'll be able to tell if you don't.

edit: this goes for you too, Mapleroots.

You should dry hop this. I recently made a beer that was too sweet after I kegged it. I took 1 oz. of Chinook 12.4% and put it in a hop bag...tossed it in. A week later it was so good that I'll probably make it again. You could also try boiling some hops with some water for a bit and adding that while still in the primary, so that you avoid oxidation issues. Or, you could just wait it out and see what you get as is.

lol I know you will know Indigi. No worries, I am not really worried about the beer. Just posting on a silly mistake. As long as it isn't too hoppy, and i know it wont be, my dad should be good with it. He isn't much of a hop head lol. I guess I am leaving my imperial IPA at home :p

You should dry hop this. I recently made a beer that was too sweet after I kegged it. I took 1 oz. of Chinook 12.4% and put it in a hop bag...tossed it in. A week later it was so good that I'll probably make it again. You could also try boiling some hops with some water for a bit and adding that while still in the primary, so that you avoid oxidation issues. Or, you could just wait it out and see what you get as is.

+1 I dry hop my munich amber (which is a malt bomb) with 1 ounce of Cascades and it makes a big difference, helps to balance.

I just realized I've made a similar mistake. My American Brown Ale recipe is:
76 % two row
17% crystal 60L
4% Carapils
3% Chocolate
1 oz Warrior (60 minutes)
0.5 oz Willamette (15 min)
0.5 oz Willamette (10 min)

I ordered grains crushed and pre-mixed so there's no turning back now. I'm planning to mash at 150 F for 90 and make a big damn starter to get as much attenuation as possible. I adjusted hops to hopefully counter the sweetness and have an ounce of willamette that I may dry hop. I also have a 1/2 lb light DME to thin out this grain bill.
Any other suggestions?

Actually, too big of a starter might be a bad thing. Yeast population reaches max in fermenter, then they go dormant. Normal starter with 150 mash should be enough. What yeast are you using? Be sure to aerate the unfermented wort before adding yeast. And only aerate under 100F. And leave the DME out. Save it for a starter. Just my 2c.

Back