Orange Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_of_Earth

Reaction score
I couldn't find a recipe for orange wine made from concentrate, so I adapted a Jack Keller one from whole oranges. I started 2 gallons of this today, and this is the recipe I used...

Recipe Type: Extract Yeast: champagne Yeast Starter: NO Batch Size (Gallons): 1 Original Gravity: 1.110 Final Gravity: ??? (presume it will be below 1.000) Boiling Time (Minutes): 0 minutes Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): ??? Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Until done!

2.5 cans of orange juice concentrate
1 pound 4 oz granulated sugar
1 crushed campden tablet
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
wine yeast (champagne)

Thaw cans of orange juice, and poor directly into secondary will all ingredients except the yeast. Fill halfway with water and shake until the concentrate is well dissolved, then add enough water to reach 3 inches from the top and shake again. Wait 24 hours, then pitch the yeast. Secure a paper towel with a rubberband over the top of the secondary (I used empty water jugs).

Now I'll wait until most fermentation ends, then I'll attach an airlock and give it about a month and rack it.

Only thing I see wrong is your use of the word secondary haha. Never made an orange juice wine, depending on what wine yeast you used, you probably will be seeing it go quite dry and at 14-15% You may want to look into backsweetening, not sure how acidic orange juice wine would be, if you'd prefer sweet or dry.

Don't know what it will taste like, this is my first try! I've only just started making wine.

Only thing I see wrong is your use of the word secondary haha. Never made an orange juice wine, depending on what wine yeast you used, you probably will be seeing it go quite dry and at 14-15% You may want to look into backsweetening, not sure how acidic orange juice wine would be, if you'd prefer sweet or dry.

I'm new to this so I'm bound to mess up ;-)

I said "secondary" since I started it straight in a jug instead of a typical primary...is that wrong?

I used the Red Star cuvier? yeast that is supposed to be capable of handling 18% if I remember correctly. I love dry wines.

Yeah this will be quite dry then, you may still look into backsweetening when this gets done, but that will depend entirely on what it tastes like. But if you like it dry, that's one less step!

Primary refers to the first fermentation vessel, and secondary to the 2nd, and tertiary to the 3rd etc etc. None of those terms are actually referencing kinds of containers. You could be thinking of carboy though, as many people use open top containers or buckets for primary fermentation and glass or plastic carboys for secondary, though many use both types for both fermentation processes.

I started a similar batch, 1.5 gallons, of pinapple wine from juice concentrate. The OG was 1.1, and I used 2 cans of concentrate per gallon and added some acid blend. Based it on Jack Keller's recipe.

Sounds like some pruno! Although it could turn out very nice, I've never had ANYTHING like this.

10-pruno.jpg

I've heard that fermented orange juice has a vomit character to it, let us know if it turns out drinkable.

I've heard that fermented orange juice has a vomit character to it, let us know if it turns out drinkable.

Damn! I hope I don't have 2 gallons of alcoholic vomit on my hands...but I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe, though I don't know for sure, that character might come up if you use rinds and let it sit too long? We'll see what happens with concentrated juice.

I transferred the orange wine to the secondary today, since major bubbling had stopped. there was a lot of sediment!

It smells...funky. I tasted some, and it doesn't taste like it smells. It has a strong raw alcohol taste, which is to be expected I think at this stage, and tastes a bit sour. I decided not to toss it, because I have hopes it will actually mellow out after several months to something ok. No taste of vomit, though I can see where someone might associate the smell right now with that. To me it isn't vomit though, just...strange.

I transferred the orange wine to the secondary today, since major bubbling had stopped. there was a lot of sediment!

It smells...funky. I tasted some, and it doesn't taste like it smells. It has a strong raw alcohol taste, which is to be expected I think at this stage, and tastes a bit sour. I decided not to toss it, because I have hopes it will actually mellow out after several months to something ok. No taste of vomit, though I can see where someone might associate the smell right now with that. To me it isn't vomit though, just...strange.

well, maybe your vomit tastes/smells different from our vomit...

VOMIT PARTY!!!
WOOT!! WOOT!!!

This sounds like a well meaning Pruno. Props for the effort. Definitely let us know how it ends. Welcome to the world of fermenting, it can only get better :D j/k it might be great.

Don't listen to them about the pruno. You may have a nice drink on your hands in a few months. I've wanted to do this for awhile but am really lazy. Hope everythiing mellows.

From what I can see most of the jack keller recipes unless they're made from pure juice, which is very rare, are just prunos of one type or another.

If this orange wine turns out to be good I'd be very interested in trying it myself. I work at a produce store so I have an unlimited source of free citrus fruit!

Dan,
Have faith I have Lemon and Tangerine trees growing in my yard I make citrus wines from them every year. They will taste like rocket fuel and ass at first give them a year and they will taste good. After 2 years its fantastic.

Az~

Dan,
Have faith I have Lemon and Tangerine trees growing in my yard I make citrus wines from them every year. They will taste like rocket fuel and ass at first give them a year and they will taste good. After 2 years its fantastic.

Az~

just what precisely does ass taste like?

You ADDDED acid blend to a Pineapple Wine?

I recall a post on here somewhere, where the wine maker cut the recipe with water because the result was so acidic!

I picked up some calcium carbonate the other day to neutralize the acid in a small batch of Pineapple Wine I'm planning.

If possible, please share the ph levels of your batch.

I'll post my OG and Oph along with the recipe when I kick my batch off in a week or two.

Pogo

Hey, you can't bump and not give a status report! What's it like?

Nothing new to report on the orange juice wine, but I just transferred the pineapple wine to the secondary, so I had to give it a taste!

Whoa! It's actually pretty good. A LOT of alchohol, but it is dry as it is supposed to be. It has a very tart aftertaste which I assume is from the acidic nature of it. But definitely drinkable and I can't wait to get it bottled and let it age a while!

I also bottled some apple wine today that I started on 3/17. I have some chilling right now and will give it an early taste.

UPDATE

I pulled the pineapple wine and orange wine out today to check on how well they are clearing and how the taste is coming along.

They are both very cloudy still, but I only started them about 7 weeks ago so I have hopes they'll clear up soon.

The pineapple wine has mellowed a lot. There is a very pleasant, strong pineapple taste. It would be spectacular really except for the fact that it's pretty acidic. I'm going to give it more time to see if that improves any, and if not I may have to take steps to nuetralize a little of the acidity.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised at the orange wine. It no longer tastes like thinly disguised rubbing alcohol, and actually has a very mellow flavor that hints of oranges. It does have a bit of an odd smell, and a slightly bitter aftertaste. However, once aged a little more and served chilled I think it will be wonderful. I made it a bit strong in the alchohol department, which I think I'd alter next time, but one could add just a bit of fresh squeezed orange juice to a glass of this and it would taste awesome.

Wow, I didn't realize I would write so much. tl;dr - I make OJ wine with wild yeast from raisins. The results have been "interesting."

I was actually doing a little bit of research on a wine I'm making from OJ concentrate and came across this. This will be my fourth batch (3 gallons or more per batch) in 3 years.

I don't have a recipe pinned down because of the nature of the way I came across it. We received some fan mail at our offices from a listener in the Huntsville, TX unit (death row) about making what I later found out was called pruno (mentioned already in this thread). The thing is pruno is quite literally foul, but this inmate's recipe was simple and borderline drinkable.

Somewhere I have the actual correspondence, but here's how I make it from memory:
  • OJ concentrate
  • Prepare per label directions (typically three cans of water)
  • Add sugar (no specifics, but I aim for 13-15% potential alcohol on the hydrometer)
  • Raisins

That's it!

The directions said you could prepare the raisins three days ahead of time by adding them to a sugar/water solution to rouse the yeast. Oh yeah, that's the yeast source—raisin wrinkles. The point was made that the cheaper they were the better since they would likely undergo less processing.

Results have been mixed. The wine always tastes the same, but it exhibits strange properties. The first time I prepared it, I didn't have any sort of device to measure SG, so when it was done "boiling" (the term the inmate used for fermentation), I began consuming it one pint glass at a time to gauge taste and alcohol content.

I can sympathize with the "vomit" characteristic, but since even the smell of vomit makes me gag, the fact that I could drink it means it was probably just extremely acidic.

The heat is very real and actually helped overpower some of the odd characteristics. During fermentation, I would use a turkey baster cum wine thief to sample. Early on the vast amount of sugar and concentrated OJ* offered intense rose notes and at around 6% (I found that this was the amount much later) it was like a sweet champagne.

I let the yeast run their full course, about 8-10 days and decided to rack to the fridge to crash cool and knock the yeast out of suspension.

As I said before, I had no way to gauge ABV, so I poured a pint glass full of wine. The first sip was "Whoa! That's intense! Ugh, I don't know how much of this I can drink." My wife took a whiff and compared it to the smell of feet, but didn't explain in much more detail.

By the second sip, I had already shocked my senses, so the acidity and dryness took over and I realized how "crisp" it tasted. Not necessarily in a good way, but in a redeeming way that help cut through some of the crazier flavors.

At sip three, I was convinced that I could drink enough to gauge whether or not I had actually created alcohol. I hadn't done much fermentation at this point in my life, so I was really flying blind.

Cut to pint 3 and I am quite inebriated. I found out later that I was probably in the 13-15% ABV range and at this point I had finished 32oz (just under a liter) and was working on 16 more and my wife noticed something... um... off. She had seen me at various levels of intoxication, but it wasn't so much about the level rather than the—how can I say this—state.

My behavior was a lot more random. My level of excitement was through the roof, partially because I was shouting "I MADE ALCOHOL!" over and over. All that and a few other things made for quite an interesting story the next day. The bonus was since there were no sulfites present, no wine hangover despite having the equivalent of 1.5 bottles.

This story made it around my group of friends and they jokingly said, we need to get together and try this. That weekend, five of us sat around the kitchen table and consumed the rest of the wine. A sixth friend showed up a few hours later, but because of some food that didn't agree with her earlier she was in no position to join us in drinking. She said there was definitely something "off." She said we were "giggly" as if we had been smoking herb instead of wine drunk (I can assure you there was no MJ present). She too said we appeared to be in a different state.

Thus, the legend of my prison wine was born. Nobody who has consumed it since has not heard the stories, so there is no control test. I'm the only one who could be considered a control, but I thought I was just really excited about making prison wine. I don't buy into the altered state theory that seems to persist around this recipe, but I keep making it and people keep speaking in tongues. Even if it is a placebo effect, it's funny to watch peoples' expressions as they take their first sips.

*Concentrated OJ is artificially flavored to reintroduce much of the flavor and smell that is lost during processing, but even "not from concentrate" OJ is often re-flavored due to degradation during the deoxygenating process.

1489234_10104190811477084_289904005_n.jpg

Thanks for that entertaining post. I have been recently wondering about wine from oranges, and I feel confident that you could make a GREAT wine from lower acid, high quality juice (think amazing fresh squeezed orange juice vs crap in a can. Kinda like fermenting tree top apple cider or welches grape juice vs the real thing). SeamusMac, if you still work at a produce store, you should get on that and let us know!!

As for pineapple, I recently had a hard cider with a heavy handed quantity of pineapple juice fermented with it, and it was surprisingly tasty. Something I will need to try. (I had it at scrumpy's cider bar in Fort Collins, co.)

You got to let it age!!! Taste like crap when it is first finished but give it a year in a bottle ice it .
It gos down like a fat kid on a seesaw!!!

This doesn't make me feel good about a batch of mango, orange, passion fruit, that I started in January.
It is a one gallon batch and I added several bottles of honey to it and used K1V-1116 wine yeast.
I'll be able to check on it when I return to the island in May.
Sounds like it may be a dumper.
The juice and honey were free from the cafeteria.
The juice came from a fountain machine.
I had previously made apple cider.

Back