Black Soot on Boil Kettle, Tried adjusting Air Baffle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
I've been having problems with getting black soot on my boil kettle from my fryer. Many have posted the reason on the forum here and my problem is indeed with combustion where I'm getting yellow flames rather than the clean blue flames. But I've tried adjusting the air baffle (the metal plate at the burner), and it's open as wide as it can go. If I go less, I get even more yellow flames.

The only way I seem to get clean blue flame is when I really crank the regulator up and pump out a lot of propane, but that would cause crazy boil-overs, so I can't do that.

Anyone have similar problems and/or suggestions to fix the problem? The fryer I have is a cheap one from Wal-mart "Backyard Classics 30 Quart Turkey Fryer Set" if that helps.

I've been having problems with getting black soot on my boil kettle from my fryer. Many have posted the reason on the forum here and my problem is indeed with combustion where I'm getting yellow flames rather than the clean blue flames. But I've tried adjusting the air baffle (the metal plate at the burner), and it's open as wide as it can go. If I go less, I get even more yellow flames.

The only way I seem to get clean blue flame is when I really crank the regulator up and pump out a lot of propane, but that would cause crazy boil-overs, so I can't do that.

Anyone have similar problems and/or suggestions to fix the problem? The fryer I have is a cheap one from Wal-mart "Backyard Classics 30 Quart Turkey Fryer Set" if that helps.

Can you take the plate off? I remember having the same problem with my walmart fryer. If you really enjoy the hobby and think you will be doing it for a while, you might want to upgrade your burner.

I do All Grain 6 gallon batches with the original Aluminum pot that came with the wal mart turkey fryer and use a buyou classic burner:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Buy some FermCapS ($4) put in 2 drop per gallon and your boil over days will be over. I fill my kettle about 3/4" from the top, about 6.75g, drop in 12 drops of FermCapS and am very please with the results. I usually boil off about .75g.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not sure how the gas regulator on that burner is but on my burner i have to adjust both the air baffle and the gas flow to get a good burn. if either one is wide open i'll have trouble with yellow flame and soot.

I used to have this same burner from the same turkey fryer set. I was quite pleased with its performance for about 3 years. Over the past year, I too started getting the black soot. I tried adjusting and had no real improvments. I just continued to get black soot. I think that through oxidation and repeated heating and cooling, the burner just corroded to the point that it was no longer worth using.

I got tired of lugging the keggle to the car wash and using cleaners to get the soot off. I just bought a Bayou Classic Sq 14 for my most recent brew. The performance and lack of soot was amazing.

So, if you cannot get the burner to perform well, buy a new one. I got my Bayou Classic Sq14 for about $65.00. You will appreciate the superior performance and lack of soot.

Best of luck!

Can you take the plate off?

It would take some work, and the way it is constructed would not really increase the airflow.

Given yours and the other replies, I guess it seems like the only way to solve this is to get a new burner. I was afraid of that, but thought I'd see if anyone had a different solution. It'll be several weeks before my next brew, so I'll look into those burners.

Thanks.

Assuming you don't get a new burner and also don't want to spend endless hours getting the soot off your pot, you can smear liquid dish detergent all over the bottom and sides where you get soot. When you're done brewing the soot should just wash right off with water and a paper towel. Most times just water.

Back