Spraymalt (DME) is the best for priming!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlightyBrewer

Reaction score
I've just primed with Light plain Spraymalt for the first time, and boy does it produce excellent carbonation and a good head on the beer! In the past I have used Young's Brewing Sugar, and quite frankly the results were poor.

BlightyBrewer said:
I've just primed with Light plain Spraymalt for the first time, and boy does it produce excellent carbonation and a good head on the beer! In the past I have used Young's Brewing Sugar, and quite frankly the results were poor.
Yea, I've used DME to prime every batch since my first. It takes a little longer, but you're right, the results make it worth it. Not to mention of course that corn sugar is evil. ;)

I keg my ales in a 40 pint plastic keg. Usually (when priming with sugar) I have to add CO2 after drawing about 10 pints, but with DME I've drawn 20 pints and she's still foaming like a goodun! :cool:

I reckon it was a good deal from Arkwrights.
With a built in tap and an adoptor for HB type cylinders (Saving the expense of a full CO2 rig) It cost about £55.

orfy said:
I reckon it was a good deal from Arkwrights.
With a built in tap and an adoptor for HB type cylinders (Saving the expense of a full CO2 rig) It cost about £55.

That's a ger-g-ger-g-ger-reat, du-du-der-der-du-der-du-deal from Arkwrights! ;)

(God Bless Ronnie!)

It's got my first AG in it.
Forgive the head, it's only been in 3 days. I'm going for natural carbonaistion.
corny-1.jpg

corny.jpg

How much of the Light Spraymalt should i dissolve in how much water ?
Ill be bottling my first brew EVER in about 2-3 weeks. It goes to secondary on Saturday. Im going to leave in their for 2 weeks and then bottle.
Its an IPA kit.

Thanks

MNBugeater

BlightyBrewer said:
Nice setup...and nice pint!

Here's my (DME primed) Santa's Winter Warmer

Wow, Blighty! That looks downright dee-licious!:cross: Makes me want one right now!

I've been using DME since about my 3rd or 4th batch and never looked back!

MNBugeater said:
How much of the Light Spraymalt should i dissolve in how much water ?

I, and I believe most folks, use 1-1/4 cups (~8 oz.) in approx. 2 cups of water and boil it for 15 mins. The amount of water isn't critical.

One question that crossed my mind as I was falling asleep last night - and forgive the possible highjack - I've always used light DME, but thought about switching to extra-light DME. Will I see a difference?

Rhoobarb said:
Wow, Blighty! That looks downright dee-licious!:cross: Makes me want one right now!

I've been using DME since about my 3rd or 4th batch and never looked back!

Thanks Roobarb! I'm down to the last few pints in the keg, and the head is still as good as in that photo (which was one of the first few pints). I haven't needed to force carbonate once...it's the best! :D

I used 1/2 teaspoon per pint mixed with 1/2 pint water and brought this to the boil, cooled, and added to the keg before racking the beer.

Rhoobarb said:
One question that crossed my mind as I was falling asleep last night - and forgive the possible highjack - I've always used light DME, but thought about switching to extra-light DME. Will I see a difference?

The amount of sugar in light and extra-light DME will be the same. The only difference will be in the color of your priming solution. Once that is diluted in 5 gallons of beer, you notice anything different at all.

-walker

Walker said:
The amount of sugar in light and extra-light DME will be the same. The only difference will be in the color of your priming solution. Once that is diluted in 5 gallons of beer, you notice anything different at all.

-walker

That's kinda what I thought. Thanks, Walker! Once I use up my current supply of DME, I'll be using extra-light from then on.

I primed with 1 1/2 cup LME once, and I got the richest, most luxurious head I've ever had. I've had great luck with DME as well. I've used a lot of corn sugar, and have never really been happy with it. That, and as EL P says, it is evil. Trust me on this one.

only ever used DMe so far and plan on sticking to it, no complaints. One ting Ihave changed thoughis now I am useing a wheet malt55/45) instead of just barely, supposed to help a bit with head retention. Dunno if it will actually be noticeable but WTH they were the same price so why not.

Wheat extract should be fine, but you might want to increase the amount just a bit...maybe 1 1/2 cups instead of 1 1/4.

orfy said:
It's got my first AG in it.
Forgive the head, it's only been in 3 days. I'm going for natural carbonaistion.
corny-1.jpg

corny.jpg

Are those "midget widgets' available in the states or is it just a uk thing?

Morning.
I've seen you thread regarding your use of Spraymalt when priming. How much should I use to prime the keg for my 4gallon wheat beer style brew I've just made?
Regards Andy

Back