Yeasts heatin' it up! Ferm question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
My ambient temperature of the room that I am currently fermenting an irish red ale in is about 69dF. However that little fermometer, or that strip thermometer on my bucket is reading 75dF! Can the metabolic activity of fermentation increase the beer 5d in comparison with the surroundings?? :confused: or is my strip thermometer faulty? I've adjusted the heat in the room hoping that the temp will cool because I don't want my beer fermenting at 75d. What do you guys think?

My Basement sits at about 60 degrees in the late Fall. I just had my Primary during the first three days of Fermentation down their. It was at a constant 68 degrees due to the heat that Fermentation puts off. So yes, Fermentation will raise the temp of your Wort.

You got it....once you pitch your yeast, keep it around 68 until you see activity, then drop it down to about 65F. You don't want to let the fermentation heat things so much that you start creating fusels/off flavors.

Heat of fermentation is 23.5 Kcal/mol for glucose. That's one degree C for a 23L batch PER 180g, about double that for a mol of maltose.

With Distiller's yeast, they warn you to never do ten gallon batches without active cooling.

Back