What the blank is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
Checked out my saison today after being gone for two weeks to find this floating on top. Specific gravity was at 1.005. Yeast is wlp565. What is this?

image-1231036579.jpg

Oh yeah fermentation temperature was steady around 80 degrees.

Looks like yeast but because of the GREEn Bucket it seems to glow green.

Cover it up and let it set... that stuff should sink back in.

Smell it... if it smells yeasty you are probably fine... if it smells moldy... you are screwed...

I see yeast floaters (normal) and possibly a film (not normal). That larger bubble is further indication something might be going wrong but it's really hard to tell from this picture. Smell and taste are a good place to start.

I forgot the most important part..... It tastes awesome! Probably should have said that. Any way I think the saison yeast blends may have some wild yeasts in there as well could that be making the weird film?

I forgot the most important part..... It tastes awesome! Probably should have said that. Any way I think the saison yeast blends may have some wild yeasts in there as well could that be making the weird film?

I think that's lactobacillus. If so, it will get sour. That is not part of saison yeast, which I guess might include brettanomyces (yeast). Brett makes puffy lumps on the top.

I'd let it go for a while. Might not get any worse. Maybe won't have a major effect on flavor. Maybe I'm dead wrong. Good luck. (I think I'll go check my saison right now :) )

saison yeast, which I guess might include brettanomyces (yeast). Brett makes puffy lumps on the top.

Did some looking up after I read this. A lot of people seem to think they got brettanomyces infections with wlp565 and their beer turned out fine. Some people think that it's in blend but it's not. I'm thinking/hoping that WLP565 may just finish out like that. I'll give it a week and repost how it's going.

I had something similar using s-33 and t 58 before. They never soured and I had and have some of them bottle conditioning still that I try randomly. Some,close to a year almost.Never soured. Some of them were off a little at first after first trying but it vanished over time. Just keep an eye for overcarbonation if you age them just to be on the safe side if your unshure.

I had this in my wine... Turned out to be floating year took 3-4 days to sink back down.... It's sediment that float to the top due to the co2 in the beer.. I say let it ride

You will know if it is anything the next time you open it. There is no need to worry unless it gets worse. More than likely it will clear up and drop out. The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago...

If its close to FG I would bottle or keg it. Many of the bugs don't grow in a CO2 environment but thrive in an oxygen one. It may help you out.

I'm cold crashing the batch now. Going to let that go for a couple of days and then bottle it. I really don't think I have an infection, but who knows. Time will tell I guess.

Careful. If it is infected (which to me, it looks like a pellicle may be forming), you could end up with bottle bombs. I have used WLP565 many times and my beer has never looked like that, nor shown any brett character.

Careful. If it is infected (which to me, it looks like a pellicle may be forming), you could end up with bottle bombs. I have used WLP565 many times and my beer has never looked like that, nor shown any brett character.

I'll take precautions. I read brett could go below 1.000 but I was at 1.005 already. How much lower could it go?

After 4 days at 40 degrees. Added for future reference to anyone reading this thread at a later date.

image-323127139.jpg

After this much effort, I'd say "Go for it!" Even iff it's brett, you'll probably end up with an interesting beer. I had an ale develop what looked like a brettanomyces infection in the secondary a few years ago and it turned out great! If it tastes good, bottle it and see what happens.

OldBunny said:
After this much effort, I'd say "Go for it!" Even iff it's brett, you'll probably end up with an interesting beer. I had an ale develop what looked like a brettanomyces infection in the secondary a few years ago and it turned out great! If it tastes good, bottle it and see what happens.

Yeah I'm bottling it now. That was just for reference to anyone checking this out in the future.

Does look a little suspicious at this point, curious to see how it turns out! Definitely put those bottles in a tub of some sort, just in case...

Beer has conditioned nicely and tastes great. Pretty sure it wasn't an infection. Will put up a pic like tomorrow.

Nice. Ive had this happen to me a few times,wasnt shure if it was from the yeast but I did have had a few batches start overcarbing overtime, and I recognized the source of infection J ust make shure you check up on them if you conditon them or they could turn on you possibly. I have a pretty good system of trying to drink one out of a batch in regular bi-weekly cycles and keeping conscience/written notes, if I see some slight foaming or overcarbonation they ALL go straight to the fridge and drank sooner . I think its a good sytem for small batch long term conditioning below room temp. Its bad enough I dropped a few commercial bombers in my basement to clean up!

Nice. Ive had this happen to me a few times,wasnt shure if it was from the yeast but I did have had a few batches start overcarbing overtime, and I recognized the source of infection J ust make shure you check up on them if you conditon them or they could turn on you possibly. I have a pretty good system of trying to drink one out of a batch in regular bi-weekly cycles and keeping conscience/written notes, if I see some slight foaming or overcarbonation they ALL go straight to the fridge and drank sooner . I think its a good sytem for small batch long term conditioning below room temp. Its bad enough I dropped a few commercial bombers in my basement to clean up!

I actually chickened out on the priming sugar and did half a cup for 5 gallons(table sugar).I unusually go with a cup for a saison (which I have decided this is one). So it's carbed fine... but not as much as I'd like. Live and learn I suppose.

I had the same thing happen to a batch of a Guiness clone. Actually, only 5 of the ten gallons got the film. It is a ***** to get rid of, but you must try. It seems not to affect the beer much, but if it mixes with a brett strain, everything you do will taste like rotten something I've never tasted before, and would rather not taste again. It seemd to clear up after 6+ months of cold cellaring, but kept warmer doesn't fade.

Looks like a lacto infection starting to me.

Might not be a TERRIBLE thing your Saison, so but it'll get worse, and will sour.. Might be good if thats your thing, some of them are tasty, others... are a drain pour.

Taste it and see. If it's good, get it kegged/bottled and chilled as soon as possible, and DRINK!

Biggest thing is, don't worry. If it taste bad, toss it.

If it's questionable, try it... I've broadened my horizons.. I had an IPA that I thought had a lacto infection.... 2 weeks before I had to keg, bottle and serve at a wedding.

Turns out, it was fine... People friggin RAVED over the beer... I mean, literally, found me in the crowd and shook my hand over it...

So, bottomline.. see how it goes.. When you are ready to bottle, or keg.. Do it... Try it before you do.. If you like it.. chances are it's okay for now.

Biggest thing is, don't worry. If it taste bad, toss it.

If it's questionable, try it... I've broadened my horizons.. I had an IPA that I thought had a lacto infection.... 2 weeks before I had to keg, bottle and serve at a wedding.

Turns out, it was fine... People friggin RAVED over the beer... I mean, literally, found me in the crowd and shook my hand over it...

So, bottomline.. see how it goes.. When you are ready to bottle, or keg.. Do it... Try it before you do.. If you like it.. chances are it's okay for now.

Good advice. Was not an infection though. Turned out great. I think that saison yeast just gets funky looking.

Back