looking for pump input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest issue with running it with restriction on the input is not that you'll lose prime. It's because more restriction is needed on the output side to let liquid "back up" into the pump, ensuring it's fully filled. More restriction on the input tends to make them run partially dry on the inside, possibly causing cavitation as well as almost definitely damaging the pump.

I too am using the ball valve before the input of the pump to restrict my flow. However, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to restrict the output so as to not mess with the pump's prime.

I don't actually have an answer to that, but I'm sure someone else could chime in on it.

You want to restrict the output side. Never restrict the inflow side. Otherwise you will get cavitations. Also the output port should be higher than the input for all pumps that are not self priming.

emjay said:
The biggest issue with running it with restriction on the input is not that you'll lose prime. It's because more restriction is needed on the output side to let liquid "back up" into the pump, ensuring it's fully filled. More restriction on the input tends to make them run partially dry on the inside, possibly causing cavitation as well as almost definitely damaging the pump.

JerseyJoe said:
You want to restrict the output side. Never restrict the inflow side. Otherwise you will get cavitations. Also the output port should be higher than the input for all pumps that are not self priming.

Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked and that's what I thought. I'll probably have to restrict input for a short while longer and then eventually move over to output restriction.

emjay said:

Out of curiosity, what would damage the pump? Is it the fact that it could run dry for too long?

Running dry and cavitating actually forms tinning has bubbles inside the pump which over time eats at the pump internals.

Has anyone received their SS pumps yet? They were supposed to ship by this Thursday and I have yet to receive any shipping information.

I have sent an email request, I tried to call but just get the answering machine. Last Sat 6/16/12 they emailed me asking if I wanted to add anything to my order. I hope these come in soon as I want to get moving on new brewing processes.

Check paypal I got my, tracking yesterday. Though ca post so not sure when its expected

I don't have a PayPal account, I purchased as a guest thus I can't "login to PayPal" and check. :(

Update - I received a response, mine have shipped as of today 6/22/12 and Scott indicated all back orders are out the door as of today. Got my tracking and according to Canada Post it should be at my house w/in 6 days.

Update -2 - Once your tracking from Canada Post says "International item has arrived in a foreign country", start tracking via USPS.com if you live in the USA.

Got my "shipped" notice today. They're trickling out, they had a note posted about having the magnets coated in batches and shipping as they became available. Hopefully it will arrive in time for next weekend.

My pump arrived this morning. First impressions, it's well made, haven't taken it apart. Appears to have some circuity in the bottom which would confirm the safety features. It's pretty small which is what I wanted as I'm going to attach it right to the kettle with camlocks. Thus far I'm pleased with my purchase. It's not a March or a Chuggar, but for my application, it's just what I wanted.

For those looking for Chuggers, Love2Brew.com (New Jersey) has them, I ordered mine over the weekend and it's on it's way UPS. Cost is $99, $121 shipped to California.

I received mine last week and realized I don't need it with my new setup... bought it on a whim way back (preordered in April). Make me an offer!!

Brulosopher said:
I received mine last week and realized I don't need it with my new setup... bought it on a whim way back (preordered in April). Make me an offer!!

A little more info: it's the stainless version and it has never been used except to test it with hot water- works great!

I used mine this weekend to brew with and I'm very pleased with it. I ran it for continuous circulation for 90min mash BIAB, then recirculated boiled wort through a plate chiller then into my corney. It's whisper quiet, strong flow.

I was part of the original stainless pump pre-order from GreatBrewEh. My Paypal account was charged on 5/27/2012, and I still haven't received my 2 pumps. I'm incredibly frustrated. I've written several emails, and at first Scott responded. He wrote one-line emails like "Did u find a track number on PayPal" [sic] and "I let you know what's going on." [sic]. Now I haven't heard from him for 5 days, and I have no status, no tracking numbers, no promises to ship the pumps, no communication, and certainly no pumps.

Based on my experience so far, I can't recommend dealing with these guys at all. Now I guess I need to work on getting my money back...

I ordered the stainless pumps on 6/20 they arrived 6/29. Pumps are so quite I had to check the tubing to make sure I had outflow. The fact I can operate on 12vdc gel cell battery makes my brew setup truly mobile and safe. No power cords next to the garden hose! Greatbreweh did fine by me: great price, shipped fast and pumps work great. However, I do wish I had way to track my order after ordering. I dont have or want a paypal account. So I couldn't track it that way. Just an email saying it shipped would be nice. I got that feeling right after ordering, "$H!+ did I just waste my money?"

Update: Kind of after the fact but I just received a email confirming shipment (its now July the 3rd). Nicknel I hope your order ships soon too.

Anybody used the new stainless, food grade coated pump? If so are you happy with it? Looking for a pump to recirculate in my ebiab setup..

Airplanedoc said:
Anybody used the new stainless, food grade coated pump? If so are you happy with it? Looking for a pump to recirculate in my ebiab setup..

I bought one and tested it once- works great! But, I realize now I don't need it... make an offer?

Has anyone had any problems with the threads on the SS version??

I am having a horrible time trying to get one of the Snaplocks the 1/2 NPT female and male disconnect threaded to the pump.

Please Help!!

camlock.jpg

Yes, I had problems with one of the threads too. I could not get my barb to thread on. I tried a valve I had and it fit a bit better, so I got it started and cranked really hard on it (no leak so far). I could actually see a flat line along the threads, and considered returning the pump, but I'd already waited a month for it. Otherwise the pump has been working great for me. Best of luck with it....

Anyone else having this problem?
For those of you that are machinists, am I going to be okay if I just force the NPT thread onto the BSP thread?

mattcrecelius said:
Anyone else having this problem?
For those of you that are machinists, am I going to be okay if I just force the NPT thread onto the BSP thread?

No! It will certainly catch on fire.

Excerpted from: http://pipeandhose.com/node/2

NPT vs. BSP Pipe
While NPT threads are common in the United States, BSP threads are widely used in many other countries.

•BSPT -British Standard Pipe Taper
•BSPP -British Standard Pipe Parallel
•NPT -National Pipe Taper
•NPS -National Pipe Straight

WARNING: Never, never try to mate a BSP fitting with an NPT or NPS fitting if the pressure holding capability is at all critical.

NPT/NPS and BSP threads are not compatible due to the differences in their thread forms, and not just the fact that most diametrical sizes have a different pitch. NPT/NPS threads have a 60° included angle and have flattened peaks and valleys (this is a Sellers thread form); BSP threads have a 55° included angle and have rounded peaks and valleys (this is a Whitworth thread form).

While the 1/2" BSP and NPT have the same pitch (14 threads per inch), the included angle difference is enough to keep from making an appropriate seal.
I assume one could wrap the BSP thread with Teflon tape and force the NPT fitting on as far as it will go (current experience is approximately 1.5 threads), but what will this do with boiling wort running through it? ...or even 155F mash water for an hour... and depending on head height, pressure at temperature may cause the Teflon seal to fail.

For those of you who bought these pumps, how have you integrated them into your systems? Please share your solutions here as the seller doesn't seem to have any interest in resolving the matter or offering the least bit of customer service in spite of his negligent false advertising.

Thanks for the info. I came across that in my searching as well.
I also tried to find bsp to npt adapters and holy **** are they expensive... approx $45 each. Almost as much as the damn pump

Anybody have solid information on the lead times and deliveries? I am interested but leery of reliability of vendor.

I pre-ordered my two stainless steel pumps on 5/27. The website said they would "be in" in 5 days. I got a "courtesy email" on 6/16 saying that they were about to ship. I wrote them on 6/28 asking if they had shipped yet. A couple emails went back and forth on 6/28 but he never told me if my pumps had already shipped or when they would ship. I got an email on 7/3 saying they had shipped out. I got an email from Paypal on 7/9 with an actual tracking number. I received my pumps on 7/11.

The threads on my stainless steel pumps are BSP, which are British, and they do not fit with my standard American NPT connectors. They are close, but I can only turn the fitting 1 and a half turns. I'm looking around for a BSP->NPT adapter, but as someone stated above they are ridiculously expensive. I'm also looking around for a simple BSP "type A" camlock, since I use Cam-and-Groove connectors on my hoses. I don't mind using BSP threads on that one connector as long as my system works and it isn't too expensive, but they only places that seem to sell them are in Australia and shipping is like $25.

Still trying to find a solution, and I'm very unhappy with my experience thus far, between the shipping shenanigans and incorrect threading. (They use NPT threading, not BSP, in Canada for crying out loud!)

Thanks for the updates, I was hoping that the issues had been resolved, but it seems to me that they are still iffy.

I put camlocks on my pump. The fit is tight and my plan is to get a 1/2 NPT pipe die and chase the threads on the pump for a better fit. It works fine otherwise and doesn't leak. Here's a few pics to give an idea of thread engagement.

dscn1686-55678.jpg

dscn1685-55677.jpg

Back