Beer changed in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverhammer

Reaction score
Being the impatient brewer that I am I opened the first bottle of this my latest IPA about 4 days after bottling, but for once it was pretty carbonated and didn't have any of the usual "green" qualities. so I drank a few more the next day and they were great. I stuck a couple in the fridge for the next day, and after sitting in the fridge for 24 hrs, the beer has a less rounded flavor and the bitterness is less integrated. even as it warms up it's not the same, I'm doing a side by side of one that never went in the fridge and one that I took out a few hours ago to get to room temp. Can anyone explain this? I know the beer is very young and still developing, but I've never seen anything like this happen before.

How did u prime your beer? Batch or bottle? If you batch primed, all should be the same and usually be getting better, "more rounded". If primed the bottles individually, carbonation and other things could vary. I have made a few beers that tasted better "green" though. But usually notice the difference after a month or months later.

Answer? The beer is very young and isn't ready yet.

Typically, the rule of thumb is three weeks at 70 degrees for normal gravity beers. If you try the beer earlier than that and think it tastes weird... it's likely due to your impatience, not the beer.

Take it out of the fridge. Let it condition for a couple weeks. Try again and see how it is.

Being the impatient brewer that I am I opened the first bottle of this my latest IPA about 4 days after bottling, but for once it was pretty carbonated and didn't have any of the usual "green" qualities. so I drank a few more the next day and they were great. I stuck a couple in the fridge for the next day, and after sitting in the fridge for 24 hrs, the beer has a less rounded flavor and the bitterness is less integrated. even as it warms up it's not the same, I'm doing a side by side of one that never went in the fridge and one that I took out a few hours ago to get to room temp. Can anyone explain this? I know the beer is very young and still developing, but I've never seen anything like this happen before.

What? 4 Days after botteling and you're storing them in your fridge?
Wrong :)

Leave them in a warm spot for about 1 or 2 weeks so the yeast can do its work. Then store them cooler for about 3-4 weeks. Then you can taste the actual final product.

Beer evolves, especially during the first weeks. Do NOT store them in the fridge. The yeast won't do anything.

when you bottle condition the beer is going through another fermentation which can change the characteristics of the beer. so some may turn out different than others. it's crazy.

Back