Frozen Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
My fridge managed to freeze the water line that I had running in one keg while the other keg was filled with beer and carbonating.

I turned down the temp and left it for a few nights. Today, I opened it up to find the line still frozen and when I knocked on the side of both kegs it almost sounds like both are frozen.

Did I just screw my batch of beer? I've unplugged the fridge and I'm going to let it thaw out.

i manage to get drunk and freeze my bottles when i'm trying to drink homebrews quicker. i thaw them and they seem to come back from a frozen grave. how far along was your beer? at the very least you could force the gas back into it if you have problems, but i'm pretty sure it'll come back around.

Glad to hear I won't lose the whole thing. After this it feels like the time to spend more on an external thermostat.

I've done this before... No problems except for having to wait for it to thaw. It happens.

The wait is insane. I had a keg of water and after two days I finally took it off the co2 and there is still a solid block of ice surrounded by a bit of water. I've had the fridge off and open.

I was really hoping to drink this beer this weekend but now I'm guessing it won't even be all liquid by that point. Temp controller ordered and being delivered Friday to make sure this never happens again.

Back