What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
IT professional here... Started my professional life as a graphic designer, until I found what I was really good at, and can make much better money doing...

Technically, I'm not an engineer, I just fix the things they F up... :D

I'm in grad school studying physics right now.

"I usually assume spherical beer when I approach any brewing issues." (if you get this joke it's pretty stupid, if you don't it's kinda retarded. Sorry I couldn't resist with all the Engineers on the thread.)

I started out college as an engineering major.... could not stand it.

I am now an artist. About the opposite end of the spectrum.

Lawyer, ham radio operator, soldier of fortune, entrepreneur, author, raconteur, pirate, scuba diver, gun owner, card-carrying Tea Party member, minister of the Gospel and did I mention home brewer?

Nope. Not an engineer here. Electronics technician, and just a crazy old guy with a taste for making weird stuff...:D

I don't know how to vote - on a strict interpretation - I've got a BS, not a BE... But I do a lot of putting things together and such. And my university was engineering oriented >shrugg<

no I've not voted yet still debating.. as engineer is to some extent a state of mind...

Lawyer. I only know a handful of folks who homebrew. They are med student, health science student, and lawyer.

I don't know how to vote - on a strict interpretation - I've got a BS, not a BE... But I do a lot of putting things together and such. And my university was engineering oriented >shrugg<

no I've not voted yet still debating.. as engineer is to some extent a state of mind...

Never heard of a BE. My engineering degree is a BS.

I've not voted yet still debating.. as engineer is to some extent a state of mind...

Sorry, it's not a state of mind. It's a vocation. And while it might now require a degree, I don't know any true design engineer without one. I worked very hard to get through my engineering curriculum and get my degree (with honors). I have spent 20 years, and made a lot of mistakes, to get to the point I'm at now. It's been a ton of long hours making deadlines that seemed impossible to learn the ropes of electronic design.

Don't beat me up on the the stats, but as an approximation:

There are about 2.5 millions engineers in the US.
There are about about 146 million workers in the US.
So, 1.7% of American workers are engineers.

HBT does not include all US home-brewers but it appears to be a large enough group for statistics.

40% of all home-brewers self identify as engineers. That's a huge but not surprising disparity.

camus said:
Where is the option for "Engineers are a pain in the ass, I am an Architect."?

That isn't an option because it's far from the truth. What we need is an option "Architects are a pain in the ass, cause all they do is make pretty pictures." I'm only joking. My mother in law does marketing for an architect and we always give each other a hard time.

Don't beat me up on the the stats, but as an approximation:

There are about 2.5 millions engineers in the US.
There are about about 146 million workers in the US.
So, 1.7% of American workers are engineers.

HBT does not include all US home-brewers but it appears to be a large enough group for statistics.

40% of all home-brewers self identify as engineers. That's a huge but not surprising disparity.

40% of the homebrewers interested in replying and voting in this poll are self identifying engineers... highly unscientific, but still impressive.

Agreed, the poll is unscientific but I'm not sure which way it swings. I think a lot of engineering types that don't have the "proper" degree may de-select as engineers even though they probably are at least mechanical, at heart. Mean-while, others may vote themselves as engineers that shouldn't, though I don't see much of that here.

I expect, more engineer-like people that don't have credentials opt to vote "no" even though they are basically engineering types.

Either way, 2% vs. 40% is huge.

Not sure how to answer...im an engineer, but not in the sense you intended....i just operate large engines....but anyway i am a mechanical type

Agreed, the poll is unscientific but I'm not sure which way it swings. I think a lot of engineering types that don't have the "proper" degree may de-select as engineers even though they probably are at least mechanical, at heart. Mean-while, others may vote themselves as engineers that shouldn't, though I don't see much of that here.

I expect, more engineer-like people that don't have credentials opt to vote "no" even though they are basically engineering types.

Either way, 2% vs. 40% is huge.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/what-your-occupation-161650/

I think that will make it clear in which way the results of this poll are biased.

Still you have to admit the sheer numbers in this poll are impressive. I could not find another poll of any kind that has even close to 1100 total votes.

True, they are. But they have a point about the reliability of those numbers.
Just by reading the title it was known that this poll would be grossly off base. People confuse what they are to what they want to be, and, if you read the posts in this thread, it becomes apparent that, in reality, there are a lot less engineers here than the numbers would suggest.

Being an engineer is not a state of mind, nor a level of consciousness, nor a wet dream. Being an engineer is a very specific degree you get once you complete an engineering career. It's a piece of paper, that says "Hey you! You're a freaking engineer, whether you know what it means or not." I would be really surprised if the real engineers in this forum were more than 10% of the member base.

By the way: I'm not an engineer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last week...

Back