Recipe + Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostrye

Reaction score
I made Charlie Papazian's Palilalia IPA but I made a few changes and I thought it turned out well:
I used 6 pounds of liquid amber extract instead of whatever they wanted.
I used two ounces NB hopes instead of 1.75
I used 1 ounce cascade to boil + 1 ounce dry hop cascade

The question is that I thought it carbonated well(I used 3/4c corn sugar):mug:, but there wasn't really any head. So what should I use to give it a nice creamy head?

PS: I am very lazy and I hate fractions.

Sounds kind of hoppy. You like the tatse, then...

Try maltodextrin and flaked oats maybe. See if your local home brew store will help you with brewtarget progamming.

Good luck

tostrye said:
I made Charlie Papazian's Palilalia IPA but I made a few changes and I thought it turned out well:
I used 6 pounds of liquid amber extract instead of whatever they wanted.
I used two ounces NB hopes instead of 1.75
I used 1 ounce cascade to boil + 1 ounce dry hop cascade

The question is that I thought it carbonated well(I used 3/4c corn sugar):mug:, but there wasn't really any head. So what should I use to give it a nice creamy head?

PS: I am very lazy and I hate fractions.

No head at all? Or it disappeared quickly?

How long did you bottle condition it, and at what temperature?

I kept it in my basement, so it was cool and dark. I guess about 50-60F? And as of last nighght it has been bottled 2 and a half weeks. I'm impatient, too.

It had a little head, it was carbonated, I like head on beer.
I really like hops, but I'm seasonal. I go for lager style beers in the summer.

Bottle conditioning is usually at 70F. It was probably too cold,& needed to condition longer to get better head retention.

When you get to the point of trying extract + steeping grains, add 8 ounces of carapils to the grain bill.

many things affect head & head retention (temperature, viscosity, OG, FG, yeast strain, hop quantity, glass cleanliness, etc, etc) so its hard to say what exactly needs to be done. I've never seen a head problem with extracts (most contain carapils), especially a hoppy one, so I'd just give it more time.

Getting good head is all about cleanliness: make sure you have good, clean glasses. If the beer is carbonated and you are using amber extract (wich has crystal malt in it) I don't see why the head is lacking. Maybe soap has been introdced in your process somewhere ? No soap should touch the brew kettle, bottles, glass, etc.

I never use soap on anything for brewing. I always use a bleach/water mix to clean everything.

jfr made a good point about the glasses, I put those in the dishwasher but maybe I should rinse them really well with hot water. I think my dishwasher has a hot water only setting too.

Take a glass from the dishwasher and rinse it thoroughly by hand. Pour a beer half into that glass and half into a glass fresh from the dishwasher. If there is any film left by detergent or spotting agent then you should see a difference in head in the two glasses.

Back