Brewing over 200 gal. limit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey now,
Well I finally have my quasi Brutus 10 up and running. It is so nice to be brewing 11 gal at a shot:mug: I remembered that there is a limit of 200 gallons a year of homebrew. I just wondered if anyone, anywhere has ever been popped for this? I am not talking about somebody trying to sell it, just somebody who brews a lot and gives a lot away to friends. Which I know is technically illegal. It just seems crazy to actually try and enforce this law.

Don't keep good notes, and don't post about your plans to exceed legal limits on internet forums :D

In all seriousness, I can't imagine how anyone would even know.

your LHBS must supply the amount of ingredients you buy to ATF every time you make a purchase. They then calculate this to determine the estimated amount of beer you are brewing. If you are making a beer with a heavy grain bill you may accidentally go over your quota.

or not.

Remember it's 200 gallons per household member that is over 21. Do you have a SWMBO? If so then is 400 gallons. If not maybe you need some roommates.

Remember it's 200 gallons per household member that is over 21. Do you have a SWMBO? If so then is 400 gallons. If not maybe you need some roommates.

No. It's 100 gallons per person per year and not more than 200 gallons per household per year. That means that you make 100. You and your wife make 200. You, your wife, your 25 year old kid that won't move out, the guy who keeps stealing your downspout, and the dog make 200.

Break it down. if you drink 6 12oz beers per day, every day, that's 6.62 barrels per year or 205.31 gallons.

That said, I'm former law enforcement. Most of the criminals I arrested spoke about their crime before being arrested. Keep your mouth shut and go on about your business.

your LHBS must supply the amount of ingredients you buy to ATF every time you make a purchase. They then calculate this to determine the estimated amount of beer you are brewing. If you are making a beer with a heavy grain bill you may accidentally go over your quota.

or not.

Now THAT's a scary thought.

Do batches that get dumped count?

Unless your LHBS does in fact work for the man, they don't care about limits. They just sell grains, and the more they sell the better. They're like head shops in that regard.

Weizenwerks said:
Break it down. if you drink 6 12oz beers per day, every day, that's 6.62 barrels per year or 205.31 gallons.

That said, I'm former law enforcement. Most of the criminals I arrested spoke about their crime before being arrested. Keep your mouth shut and go on about your business.

Lol they just can't keep themselves. .insert wwii propaganda poster... "loose lips sink ships!"

Why must people continue to talk about this? Brew what you are going to brew and let it be. The best way to keep under the radar is to stop running your mouth.

Actually it is extremely illegal and you are treading on dangerous ground. For your own safety I will need to confiscate all homebrew exceeding your limit. PM for my address so you can ship it to me.

or not.

Uh, yeah. Not my LHBS! He's about as anti-govt as they come! He might even be a tea-bagger, I mean tea-partier.
:drunk:

or not.

Maybe if you're a bad customer... :D I can't see any LHBS doing this

Hey now,
Well I finally have my quasi Brutus 10 up and running. It is so nice to be brewing 11 gal at a shot:mug: I remembered that there is a limit of 200 gallons a year of homebrew. I just wondered if anyone, anywhere has ever been popped for this? I am not talking about somebody trying to sell it, just somebody who brews a lot and gives a lot away to friends. Which I know is technically illegal. It just seems crazy to actually try and enforce this law.

I've never brewed over 200 gallons as far as you know.

Even if you were caught with 500 gallons of homebrew, how would they be able to prove that it was all from this year? Really though, I think it's just a way that they can regulate micro breweries that try to skip out on taxes and that it's not meant for us small timers.

I made 198 gallons last year and then pitched a nice starter into 5gal of wort...the feds were at my door by krausen time.

Per the ATF website, they utilize satellite imagery to monitor residential foot traffic. High volumes, without exception, indicate either an illegal still, marijuana retail operation or excessive homebrewing. Once identified the local ATF branch is deployed to crash the party and reduce the substance level into compliance.

This is going to be a State issue for enforcement, not so much a federal issue (since you are not selling it to "ferners").

I have had several friends ask to buy my beer and I have flat out told them I can not in any way shape or form. I don't have to worry about going over the limit since I brew very seldomly in the winter, but from what I have been told by the local Alcohol Control Board people (friends of friends/coworkers, etc) is they do not really care as long as you don't sell it and don't go crazy (ie you have 200 gallons sitting in fermenters right now).

Now if you did something else, and they found you going over the limit that's another story. Sort of like the drug tax stamp, or not wearing your seatbelt. No one's going to bust you for just that, but they may add it onto the charges you already have coming.

Unless your brewing and not drinking it, the evidence is gone. Not a problem. Just cover that pile of used yeast vials in the corner up with a blanket.

If your really worried, and have a bunch of friends that drink your beer, brew it at your house, have them take it home and pitch the yeast there.

finley said:
I have had several friends ask to buy my beer and I have flat out told them I can not in any way shape or form.

But they can buy you the ingredients... Or buy the bottle and get the beer for free.

Whats the first rule of Fight club. DONT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB. Its that simple. Brew how ever much you want but don't post or go to the TTB and scream HOLY **** I JUST BREWED OVER 200 GALLONS!!! LOCK ME UP I'VE GONE CRAZY!!

Fastmetal said:

Why do you think Charlie Sheen has two girl friends that live with him. Lol

I like the Op's query: Does anyone have a reference to an actual case which shows enforcement of the limits either by the state or feds?

or not.

All I know is that 50# bag of grain I got made one hell of a high ABV barleywine. It's too bad I only got 4 gallons, though.

But they can buy you the ingredients... Or buy the bottle and get the beer for free.

I won't touch it, even if I could technically get away with it. I am in a job that I need to be very certain that I don't even give a semblance of skirting the rules in any way shape or form. For my situation, the spirit of the law is very important, whether I agree with it or not. Honestly, I could see this being a bigger issue than Law Enforcement coming after you.

Hey now..
I am the original poster.....So has anybody ever heard of anybody, anywhere getting in trouble for brewing too much beer? .....and I am talking about with some government agency......not their spouse!:D

Hey now..
I am the original poster.....So has anybody ever heard of anybody, anywhere getting in trouble for brewing too much beer? .....and I am talking about with some government agency......not their spouse!:D

Not unless they were selling it. No worries man.

oh I ain't worried....It just seems like a ridiculous law. It's like saying the speed limit is 55.......but no one has ever gotten a ticket for going over the limit.

On a serious note, I would be surprised if the BATFE even had a mechanism of enforcement of that limit. Their alcohol division is probably more geared toward tax collection and the selling of unlicensed hard alcohol.

;)

or not.

FYI, There's no way that the amount of grain you buy correctly correlate to the number of gallons you brew. Those grains have a lot of other uses.

this is one of the dumbest threads i've seen on here

I guess for the OP, nobody knows of any. But I think an earlier poster was correct in saying its just meant to keep people from brewing 1,000 gallons and calling themselves a "homebrewer" and then take donations for their beer.

Back