Couldn't wait any longer (tasted first brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Well, I lasted 5 days since bottling my first batch (Milwaukee Amber Ale). I broke down and opened a bottle tonight. It's not too bad- a bit flat yet, but it is beginning to get a bit of carbonation. I am so far pleasantly surprised. I was a little skeptical about this whole thing.

Now... my only problem is: how do I keep from drinking up the rest of it before it is finished?!

mmditter said:
Well, I lasted 5 days since bottling my first batch (Milwaukee Amber Ale). I broke down and opened a bottle tonight. It's not too bad- a bit flat yet, but it is beginning to get a bit of carbonation. I am so far pleasantly surprised. I was a little skeptical about this whole thing.

I'm still a n00b, but they get a LOT better as they age. I just opened one of my first batch, bottled 5 weeks ago. There is a dramatic difference in how it tastes compared to when it was first bottled.

Now... my only problem is: how do I keep from drinking up the rest of it before it is finished?!
Keep brewing more, until you have so much beer you have no choice but to wait. It's the only way to cure the sickness.

mmditter said:
Thanks. I've got an Oktoberfest going that should be ready to bottle soon. I'm not sure what to try next after that one is done.

My new favorite style is pale ale. Easy to brew and ready to drink in 3-4 weeks.

mmditter said:

Milwaukee Amber Ale, huh? Not based on Sprecher Amber by chance?

I'm headed up that way next weekend. I plan on stopping into Discount Liquor for some hard to find brews. I want to find the Lakefront Brewery Pumpkin beer, and we can't get DFH Raison D'etre here anymore so I'll probably bring a 4 pack (maybe more) back with me as well. :p

The recipe is part grain and the malt extract came from the store in plain plastic containers (no brand name). I don't know where the store (Frugal Homebrewer) came up with this particular recipe (they have a three-ring binder in the store full of beer recipes to try).

Discount Liquor is great, aren't they? I go to the one in Waukesha and they have unbeatable prices and selection. The store on Oklahoma is a block from Serb Hall. Have you ever been to their Friday fish fry? If not, it's a famous Milwaukee experience

Thanks for the advice. I don't have the ability to do a lager yet (my "Oktoberfest" is a modified version with ale yeast). Hopefully in the future I can try lagers, though. Meanwhile, my Oktoberfest Ale is making my basement smell heavenly.

Back