4mm vs. 6mm aluminum pot, size of pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylornate

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new aluminum pot so I can do full boils, and I'm wondering if there would be any point in getting a 6mm thick pot vs. the more common 4mm.

As for the size, Palmer says 8 gallons is big enough for all grain should I eventually go that route. Thoughts?

Depends on what your cooking on... If your using an electric stove, get the thinner metal and isulate the side of the pots with some insulation. If using a burner, go with the thicker pot, that way it doesnt warp, etc.
P.S. - Go with 10 gal if your budget allows, you will thank yourself later. :rockin:

I would say take the extra $ you would spend on the 6mm, and put that into a larger size pot. I started my AG with 7.5 gallon pot, and it was rough. did it work, yes. Did I have to stare at the pot every minute of the boil to avoid boil overs, while also using fermcap like it was crack. YES and YES.

I now have a 15 gallon pot, and love it to death.

go with the thinner one, it will transfer heat better, you still won't have to worry about scorching at 4mm and it won't warp.

These guy's have the cheapest I've found. Stock Pots : Discount Stock Pots at Wares Direct Discount Restaurant, Janitorial and Office Supplies

They've got a 80qt pot for what Yankee paid for the 50.

I decided to splurge and get the thicker one because it wasn't much more. The place you linked looks cheap, but then they add $6 handling and $20 shipping. I got it from here: Stock Pot 40 Qt. Hvy Weight: Kitchen Supply Direct, Inc.

After shipping it was slightly cheaper than your place.

These guy's have the cheapest I've found. Stock Pots : Discount Stock Pots at Wares Direct Discount Restaurant, Janitorial and Office Supplies

They've got a 80qt pot for what Yankee paid for the 50.

What's the catch here? Those prices are insanely good.

I already have a 60 qt aluminum pot that I paid way too much for compared to these prices.

Somebody ought to alert the entire forum about this. Not that I overpaid for mine but that this place has great prices...

Dancing Banana.

What's the catch here? Those prices are insanely good.

I already have a 60 qt aluminum pot that I paid way too much for compared to these prices.

Somebody ought to alert the entire forum about this. Not that I overpaid for mine but that this place has great prices...

Dancing Banana.

The catch is high shipping and handling. Still not bad though.

Yeah, I hadn't actually bought one yet, and the site I linked charges 2.99 Handling and $20 for shipping so instawares is a lot cheaper.
But the free shipping is available on the 60qt and smaller pot.

I just purchased a 6mm 60quart pot. It is a monster. I havn't used it yet because I don't trust it with 10 gallons on my turkey fryer. It's not a "bayou" type and is a bit flimsy. I'm in the process (thinking about) fabricating a new stand. The (2mm?) pot that came with the fryer works well enough for 5 gallons, extract.

I have not seen a 4mm but I'm not sure 6mm is essential. It's certainly sturdy, and I don't think it will ever dent. Here's the one I got.
www.waresdirect.com

The shipping was around $20, so it came out to just over $100.

Back