Beer allergies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGlove

Reaction score
Ive been doin the brew for almost 6 months now, and I have never ever had a problem. Different yeasts, barleys, etc, no issue.

I just made a batch in april, and i used a different no rinse sanitizer than usual, and used a white labs american hefe yeast, and 2 lbs of honey; I also used a wierd style of bottle caps that didnt latch on in a normal way. They closed allright, but they werent as "tight" as the last 4 brands i used.

anyhow Ive had about 10 of the beers already, with no issues.
but for some reason, the last two times i drank it, Ive started breaking out in some sort of itchy allergic reaction rash about an hour afterward. its freaking nuts.

Im just wondering if anyone else had this sort of issue, and if it is the sanitizer, yeast, some wierd bacteria...or something.

I can't remember exactly who it was, but someone posted on here about being allergic to hops. They had a friend who was allergic to hops, and they were looking for a hop substitute. If you are indeed allergic to hops...I mourn for you! But it's probably some new ingredient you used. Did you use a new kind of hop, yeast, grain, or other adjunct with this batch?

I would cry if I was allergic to hops!

But since it was only one beer that did it, I don't think you should make any conclusions yet. If it happens repeatedly, then you should start to worry. Also, it may be the honey.

At any rate, go smear some hydrocortisone cream on your nasty, itchy skin.

You said that you used a hefe yeast, are you by chance allergic to wheat. Try drinking a wheat beer one day and a beer without any wheat the next and see what happens. Good luck.

I get that same exact outbreak if I drink Rum, The doctor told me I am having an allergic reaction to the molases. So Im thinking +1 on trying a beer with and without wheat a day apart.

My wife is allergic to "brewer's yeast" according to her allergist. That's a little generic for my satisfaction but swmbo doesn't like beer anyway (it's the opposites attract thing) so no biggie for her. My point being that it could certainly be the yeast. Make a hefe using a 1056 or Weistephan yeast and see if you get the same reaction. If you wind up with 5 gallons you can't consume, I'm sure you will have plenty of volunteers to help you dispose of it!

My, erm, allergist said he could analyze some samples. You'll just have to send me some of the beer in question. :)

ha, no problem. the stuff is surprisingly good for being such a simple recipe. It was the first batch i was proud of.. before this whole business.

I did use liberty pellet hops, first time ive used them, but i am not allergic to any other types of hops. I wouldnt think I was allergic to the liberty pellets...

It is a wheat recipe, but im not allergic to wheat. every other batch ive made was wheat beer based (dunkelweiss, weizenbock, hefes)

anyhow, I tried it again yesterday, different bottle from a different part of the batch (less yeast cake, less bottom muck) and i was fine. I am going to try another one later today, and maybe hopefully i can blame my sickness on something else that isnt as vital to my happiness and well being.

Back