Paper bag drying technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roastquake

Reaction score
So I've been growing for 3 years now and so far I've been drying hops by leaving them on a wire rack hanging next to a window at room temp. My step-father-in-law keeps telling me about how he dries herbs and such, by putting them in a brown paper bag and setting them in the rear windshield of his truck for a day. He says it works fast and to try it on hops, what do y'all think? keep in mind I'm in SC where it's hot and humid

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't do it. Not even for the herbs, depending on what they are to be used for.

Long story short, what do you want from your hops? Bittering (alpha acids) and flavor (oil). Alpha's don't degrade until you hit 140F, so you are probably OK there. Plus, most people don't know the alpha level of homegrown hops, so they use them for dry hopping or at least late addition.

What's the boiling point of the oils in hops? Some are below 100F. Putting them in a hot truck will evaporate a lot of those.

Additionally, when the hops dry, where does the moisture go? Into the bag? No, it goes into the air. So if you put them in the bag, that restricts the amount of air can get to them to remove the moisture. Plus you are locking them up in a relatively well sealed up truck that will hold onto that moisture. When it cools off that night, all the moisture will condense on the windows and run all over the dash. Hops hold A LOT more moisture then most herbs.

Hey Dan, I think they have rules about too many capitol letters in a row on the internet. I'm no expert but just a heads-up, you seem like a nice guy and I wouldn't want the internet police busting you. I do what I can~

THANKS Y'ALL! I was already kind of suspect of it but didn't want to give up on the idea, now I know. I'm considering a food dehydrator now, I've seen threads where people use them

Back