Apfelwein Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piernas

Reaction score
I started two batches if apfelwein about 8 months ago, and they have been sitting in my closet since then. I am excited because I have never aged apfelwein past 3 or 4 months, but I am worried because the only reason I have made it this far is because I haven't been brewing at all and have possibly neglected these two batches a bit too much. Here is why I am concerned about each batch.

First batch: Apfelwein bubbled into the airlock during ferrmentation. I did nothing about it, and there didn't appear to be an issue (a visible one) after three or so months, but now there is a ring of mold (about as thick a a straw) around the inside of the airlock. The apfelwein looks fine, though.

Second batch: I'm not sure if the airlock has a leak, but I noticed several times that the liquid in the airlock was too low and had to add some. I have not been checking them often at all, so there is a possibility that the liquid (diluted starsan) was low for a few weeks. Again, though, the apfelwein looks fine.

So, what do you think? Should I just taste them?

Uh, yeah you should just taste them...how else are you going to determine if anything is wrong?

Mold in an airlock doesn't mean there's anything wrong in your fermenter......

Thanks for the quick reply, Revvy. The ridiculousness of my question hit me as soon as I hit the post button. Apfelwein for breakfast, coming up.

piernas said:
So, what do you think? Should I just taste them?

Hell yes! And bottle or keg that stuff! Airlocks will evaporate, so you might need to top them off from time to time.

Well, they both taste fine. Guess I was just looking for an excuse to not have to bottle them. I had to sell my kegerator a while back, and the thought of bottling is terrible. But having 10 gallons of apfelwien to sip on will help me get through the day.

piernas said:
Well, they both taste fine. Guess I was just looking for an excuse to not have to bottle them. I had to sell my kegerator a while back, and the thought of bottling is terrible. But having 10 gallons of apfelwien to sip on will help me get through the day.

If its that hard I'm sure we can find someone to take it off your hands :)

Back