Lost flavor after cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made up the AHS 20th anniversary IPA a couple weeks ago. It was bitter, it was grapefruity (falconers Flight). It was turning out great. I dry hopped it last friday (1 oz cascade, in the keg, 55 F). On day 4 there was distinct hoppy aroma. It was smooth and ligh with mild flavor turnign into a strong grapefruit flavor which finished melding with a non harsh, yet strong, bitterness. Pretty good beer, if not to bitter for me. (not usually an IPA guy, but wanted to try one)

Anyhow, I said I would give some out this friday so I came home from lunch and crash cooled it to clear it up for bottling thursday night, knowingly limiting further dry hopping goodness. But tonight, after 7 hours, and it was at 39 F, I had a drink and the flavor was virtually gone. I let a glass warm up to 60 and it only had a very faint flavor in it.

Where do I go from here? what happened? let the keg warm up again? give it a shake? How do I get the taste back?

Checking notes... Brewed on Nov 13th. Kegged and dryhopped 2 Dec.

Yeah, it is mainly just a bitter drink. Even my lady asked what happened to it as we sample a little everyday to see how the taste changed. She even said it was thinner. Maybe I should check the gravity. It was 1.010 when I kegged.

Not sure. I thought maybe it was a few months old or something. It shouldn't be doing that this early

I took it out of my chest freezer and am letting it warm up in the cellar, around 60. I'm really bummed as it was turing out really well and the last couple I made haven't flown my flag.

Just want to say I don't think it is the AHS kit. It was really good until the crash, and i was thinking of doing it again but knocking down the ibus from 60 to 45 ish.

you didn't use anything out of the ordinary like hefeweizen yeast or anything did you? just wondering if some of the flavor came from yeast and cold crashing took the yeast and that flavor away

jester5120 said:
you didn't use anything out of the ordinary like hefeweizen yeast or anything did you? just wondering if some of the flavor came from yeast and cold crashing took the yeast and that flavor away

No, the kit came with WL001,Cali Ale. I had purchased months ago early in AHS anniversary sale. I made a starter up and it seemed alright. Pitched into 63F wort and it was sluggish. I usually have activity within 12 hours. This took 3days and I had to bump it up to68. Once it took off I lowered to 64. Everything seemed ok after the initial hiccup.

i'd say go ahead and bottle/ force carb. CO2 has a lot of impact on the overall body and even taste of a beer, especially one that is aromatic like an IPA as the CO2 bubbles expel the hop and malt aroma. 1.010 is pretty low FG for an IPA which ,may be the reason why it seems thin/ dry. You can always boil a cup of water and add some maltodextrine (maybe 4-8 oz), dissolve, cool, then add to carboy or bottling bucket. This may help the body by adding unfermentables.

Back