Inline Trub Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same one. He only sold 5 to test the market. Obviously he has more to come in may. I ordered one but i'm not to sure if i want to proceed with it now because there was no testing really done.

I had the same one. He only sold 5 to test the market. Obviously he has more to come in may. I ordered one but i'm not to sure if i want to proceed with it now because there was no testing really done.

You had this filter? Then ordered one?

I meant to say i had the same question. I started a thread identical to this one

Looks sweet but I'm wondering how much of a difference it would provide vs. a false bottom in your BK.

After speaking with a local brewmaster in Napa, I tried to follow what he does.
He whirlpools, waits for everything to settle (waiting for it to settle is very important) and then slowly draws out of the BK and runs it through a 5 gallon keg filled with hops. He said that the resins in the hops act as a sort of protein magnet and after his wort passes through the plate chiller it's very clear.
For my scale of production, this turned out to be a Blichmann Hop Rocket. I whirlpool, wait for it to settle and then let the two filters in the Hop Rocket and about 4oz of fresh whole hops take care of the rest. Beer comes out very clear. Plus you can use use the Hop Rocket as a Randall (if you're into that sort of thing).

Here endeth the plug.

Looks like it works pretty damn good! The only thing better would be to see a video of it actually draining to gauge how fast you can run it.

They mentioned the filtered bags, but there's not much more discussion about them. Seems like you'd want one for finer filtration? Maybe quicker cleanup? Both?

Makes me wonder if it could be used for fining beer as well...if you got the right micron sized bag?

Looks like it works pretty damn good! The only thing better would be to see a video of it actually draining to gauge how fast you can run it.

They mentioned the filtered bags, but there's not much more discussion about them. Seems like you'd want one for finer filtration? Maybe quicker cleanup? Both?

Makes me wonder if it could be used for fining beer as well...if you got the right micron sized bag?

What do you mean fining?

I've had this trub filter and adapter cover for the RIMS tube on order since the beginning of April. I've been waiting patiently! It just got delayed again to 6/6. Once I get it I will post a review.

The only shortcoming that I see with the test is that it used boiling water only, and therefore there is no hotbreak or coldbreak (ie. trub) that the filter is contending with. The test does prove that it is an effective hop filter, but judging by how clogged the filter looked by the whole hops, it seems like a slew of coagulated protein would gunk it up a fair bit more. But who knows, it certainly is a pretty piece of equipment, and after I see some positive results with actual wort, I am sure i'll jump on the bandwagon.

The only shortcoming that I see with the test is that it used boiling water only, and therefore there is no hotbreak or coldbreak (ie. trub) that the filter is contending with. The test does prove that it is an effective hop filter, but judging by how clogged the filter looked by the whole hops, it seems like a slew of coagulated protein would gunk it up a fair bit more. But who knows, it certainly is a pretty piece of equipment, and after I see some positive results with actual wort, I am sure i'll jump on the bandwagon.

I totally agree. I will not drop the cash for this item until I see it work with wort, not just hop water.

Back