Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abita Turbodog hands down. It's the only beer I've ever had that actually tasted like vomit - it was SO sour.

I can only think you got a bad one. I drink turbodog on a regular basis, and I can't ever say I've ever tasted anything remotely like sour. Certainly not a level of sour that I would associate with vomit. But I'll certainly not blame you if you didn't want to try it again after an experience like that. :D

I have two, both I have had the terror of trying in the last 2 months.

#1 Maui Brewing Company - Maui Onion Mild, this beer tastes like you were drinking suateed onions, that is all just onions.

#2 Yakima Craft Brewers - Bad Monkey, This is a Dubble that tastes like carbonated cherry cough syrup.

All Magic Hat. Vermont is a great place for beer where you won't find a bar without a local brew on tap (usually a few) and thankfully, BMC at least their flag ship beers are rarely found on tap. That said, there usually is more than one Magic Hat on tap, and they are all dreadful. I think it's the yeast since they use some proprietary yeast strain in all their beers, making all their beers basically taste the same.

I'd add pretty much all Sam Adams but there is one or two I like, and I'll take a SA over most 'macro breweries'.

Thankfully, we have so many breweries and brew pubs, rarely do I have to drink awful beer. Even in the most random, in the middle of no where, hole in the wall bars, they'll have some good stuff.

discnjh said:
I can only think you got a bad one. I drink turbodog on a regular basis, and I can't ever say I've ever tasted anything remotely like sour. Certainly not a level of sour that I would associate with vomit. But I'll certainly not blame you if you didn't want to try it again after an experience like that. :D

Never been impressed with Abita but this reminds me that the one bar I go to on wednesdays they have 1.00 bottles from the certain cooler. Its all way past date stuff thats been kept in a hot warehouse or something. The last time I was there I almost pooped my pants when I saw Aventinus in there because I live that stuff and thought even if it is old it should age ok. Nope. And I had some petrus that tasted like cider vinegar. Ya cant base the beer off that. How the bar can sell that legally I dunno. The Petrus was dated like 02 lol. Or ya know stuff just goes bad sometimes. I have bought enough skunked beers in my time.

Almost any fruit enhanced beer ive ever tried.Spit drain dump.Sorry even Bells cherry stout.Michelobe ultra was a dumper i could tolerate miller and buds ultras though.

Call me green, but Ommegang Three Philosophers was the first craft beer I tried that I thought was truly wretched. I'm sure it's made carefully, just don't think I like sweet dark fruit beers. Love lambics, love Belgians, but Three Philosophers tasted like I'd be robotripping in no time.

I made a beer that tasted like the sweat that forms on the outside of a tube of baloney on a hot day once. (Supposed to be a wit with orange peel and coriander. Hah) That was hands down the absolute worst crap I've ever made and drank. How's that. It was a potable joke. I'd just bust one out at the party when folks were drunk enough and their guard was down, and watch people's faces twist in shock and confusion. Wonderful. Beers shouldn't have a meaty finish.

You know how when you have vomited in the past and will then proceed to actively avoid any food that reminds you of that violent ejection of foulness?

Yes one day when I had too much Dijon mustard on a sandwich, followed by food poisoning and an extensive night of drinking duck fart shots. Two things I tend to avoid now.

I'm new to the wide world of "not American lager". I probably have bad taste. FE, I think Leinie's Sunset Wheat is tasty. Cheladas are delicious.

Worst I have ever had was my dad's malt liquor of choice, Laser. Came in 32oz bottles. It was warm and flat after I managed to steal it.

Corona is horrible.

Arrogant Bastard tasted like a mouthful of nettles and cigarette ash. I literally can not fathom why anyone would drink something that screams poison.

(edit) what's BMC? I undestand that it means your generic budweiser type beer, but whats it stand for?

Bud-Miller-Coors?
Big Mean Corporation?

I'm new to the wide world of "not American lager". I probably have bad taste. FE, I think Leinie's Sunset Wheat is tasty. Cheladas are delicious.

Worst I have ever had was my dad's malt liquor of choice, Laser. Came in 32oz bottles. It was warm and flat after I managed to steal it.

Corona is horrible.

Arrogant Bastard tasted like a mouthfull of nettles and cigarette ash. I literally can not fathom why anyone would drink something that screams poison.

Buy about 100 different type of craft beer, sample for months then come back to arrogant bastard.Repost.

Personally i like oaked arrogant alot more.

Anything brewed in Thailand is pretty terrible. From worst to least worst in Thailand:

Chang/Singha
Archa
Cheers
Leo
Federbrau

Coincidentally, Beer Lao is not THAT bad, and their dark lager is actually quite drinkable. My girlfriend came back from Cambodia the other day as well, and brought back a bunch of Cambodian beer. So far, it's the same 'Asian Lager' swill.

Buy about 100 different type of craft beer, sample for months then come back to arrogant bastard.Repost.

Personally i like oaked arrogant alot more.

I have been trying all kinds of stuff lately. My current faves are Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout and Hoegaarden. But Arrogant Bastard. I thought it might be a joke.

Brasserie de Silly Pink Killer. I dare you. Nasty.

I upchucked a little after the first sip and decided the swallow my sick to get rid of the taste of the Pink Killer. When you have to power down a vomit chaser you know you have tasted the rock bottom of the beer world.

Never been impressed with Abita but this reminds me that the one bar I go to on wednesdays they have 1.00 bottles from the certain cooler.

Abita has a special place in my heart because until very recently they were the closest brewery. Also they sponsored the ultimate team I played on for a while. Also I really enjoy a number of their beers, so there is that. Some of them are misses for me, but some of them are among my favorites.

One of the things abita excels at (in my opinion) is making beer that goes very well with spicy cajun food. However, this means that frequently when consumed without said spicy cajun food, they aren't quite the same. :p

governorkc said:
huber is brewed by Minhas just like Simpler times. I think all they make is crap beer. like mountain creek, rhienlander, berghoff, lazt mutt, hi test, Wisconsin club, blah

their goal is to make the cheapest beer possible.

I bought one of the many available varieties of Berghoff one time because I'd never heard of it and wanted to try something new. Unlike Huber's other offerings, Berghoff didn't have a suspicious price point. I think it was actually more expensive than Sierra Nevada. This was the worst pale ale (I think, the exact style has been pushed out of memory) that I've ever tasted. I looked on the bottle to see where it was made and what would you know? Its brewed by Huber. I've never felt so violated. What a waste of $8.50.

How about that "champagne-like" beer that Sam Adams came out with last year? I think it was called infinium. That was pretty terrible. And I didn't get the champagne connection at all

Gonna have to go with SA cherry wheat...couldn't even get through the whole bottle! Has a strong artificial aftertaste

At the Extreme Beer Festival a few months ago, Sam Adams WTF. It honestly tasted like cherry Robitussin and Pine Sol mixed together.

Another is King Lager. I would equate it to 90% random light lager and 10% of an Irish Dry Stout, with a shot of cheap rum dropped in.

SirBC said:
Brasserie de Silly Pink Killer. I dare you. Nasty.

I upchucked a little after the first sip and decided the swallow my sick to get rid of the taste of the Pink Killer. When you have to power down a vomit chaser you know you have tasted the rock bottom of the beer world.

This is one of the greatest posts I have ever read.

Laser malt beverage was probably the worst. Though a skunked Pilsner Urquell from a pick-a-six store had me hollering "Feet, it tastes like Feet!" all night. Haven't had one since.

Maybe not the worst I've ever had, but what sticks in my mind as the worst is Schmidt aka Animal Beer. I remember it was about $3-4 a 12-pack. Not good beer.

I new you must be from Washington when I read your post. I grew up in Kent/Maple Valley and drank my share of Animal Beer in the early 80's.

Still have my Animal Beer Shirt in the attic. I put it on for a redneck party we had in 2003. Here is a picture of it. Too funny.

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0065.JPG

it was in a white can with black lettering. "BEER". right behind that was olympia. made several high school kids puke 1 night

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine - i like Sierra Nevada, and i LOVE barleywine. i heard SO much hype about Bigfoot. it tasted like skunk butt, imo.

Lolz. I remember when generic "BEER" 1st came out. I thought the local grocer was goofin on us...Even saw those cans in "Deer Avenger" computer games I still have. It was under "human sign". Ha. But the "HB",hofbrau Munchen in the green bottle was more like fermented bear wizz by the time we got it over here...

Anything from Sam Adams. I don't get all the fuss. I've tried the Boston Lager, Boston Ale and their Blackberry Wit. Just not a big fan of them.

I agree on the leinenkugel Berrywiesse.

The only beer I have ever sent back was a bottle of Molly's chocolate stout from College green brewery in N. Ireland. Thin, sour, and flat and the bar claimed that was normal and not a bad bottle or batch.

Ive dumped a couple of leiny's nut brown. I had my eye on this at the end of winter, once i got it, eww artificial nut flavored crapy stale musty nut beer-dump...next.

Apparently you just aren't worthy ;). Whatever floats your boat. AB is hands down one of my favorite brews.

Ha it must be a joke with Rate beer enthusiests too,with a 99 score.Everybody is entitaled to opinion, but wow its a great beer great hops great body great head great lacing, roasty malt balanced semi sweetly with an incredible hop bitterness. To each is own.:mug:

Ha it must be a joke with Rate beer enthusiests too,with a 99 score.Everybody is entitaled to opinion, but wow its a great beer great hops great body great head great lacing, roasty malt balanced semi sweetly with an incredible hop bitterness. To each is own.:mug:

You know how an old fellow who's been smoking a pipe for 40 years can take a puff of his tobacco and tell you he tastes notes of cherry, vanilla, and sandalwood? But if a nonsmoker tries it he will just start choking and his eyes will stream tears?

Or how an art snob can look at a painting that is nothing more than a canvas covered with black and red splotches and tell you that the artist was brilliantly conveying the suffering of the peasant class during the Spanish Revolution?

That's exactly how Arrogant bastard gets a 99. It is well named.

Back