Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I have to agree. I've seen the first two episodes and I felt like it dragged and dragged.

Though I did enjoy the chance to see the day-to-day operations of a commercial brewery. As a partial mash/extract brewery this concept of "all-grain" is a little scary. It was interesting to see how the professionals do it.

This program is exactly what I expected to see in a cable channel production (it would never have been done on the networks, obviously). This thread would be much more interesting if we restarted it in one of the chat forums on HBT as "What would be your expectations of a TV show on brewing?" Now THAT would be one fascinating thread....

I wouldn't say I'm a hater. It's a show on Discovery (hooray!) and it's about beer (quadruple hooray!) But it could be a lot better, and after three episodes so far, I'm finding it to be a bit predictable:

1. Sam comes up with a goofy idea. Brewers go "uhoh!" especially when Sam announces that the beer has to be ready in three weeks to serve at *insert random craft beer show name here*! Gadzooks!
  2. Sam goes off to meet with the folks who inspired said beer. In the meantime, the folks back at the brewery start thinking about the recipe.
  3. Hang on a sec! Something's gone wrong on the production line! Cue the buzzer!
  4. Meanwhile Sam and Brian go to the brewpub in Rehobeth (where Dogfish first started, and now where they do all their pilot batches) to brew the beer. Cue the graphics of the brewing process, like what "mashing in" is, when the water and grain is mixed together to form...
  5. Back to the production line, the crisis has been averted. Phew! Otherwise it could have cost the brewery "thousands of dollars in beer".
  6. The beer is kegged and ready to go to the *insert random craft beer show name here*. Hopefully people will like it. Right about now's a good time for Sam to show his goofy side, to let everyone know he's not stressed. Zoinks!
  7. The *insert random craft beer show name here* has finally arrived! Sam taps the keg at the Dogfish Head booth, and serves the first beer. But will people like it? We'll let you know right after the break!
  8. People love it! High fives all around.

Like many, I'm hoping that the show expands to include other breweries. Fair play to Sam, but my wife even pointed out that it sometimes comes across as a DFH infomercial. I do like him as a host tho, and think an awesome idea would be for him to visit a different brewery each week (that's kinda what I thought it was going to be in the first place), maybe doing collaborative brews with them (I guess that's what the Punkin/Portamarillo one kinda did) but maybe at the different breweries instead of focusing on DFH all the time. They wouldn't even have to be the tiny cutting edge ones, but a trip to Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Deschutes, Magic Hat, etc...

Issues aside, still great to have a show on that's dedicated to the magical elixir!

I have to agree with ubermick. The show kinda follows the discovery channel show flowchart. 1) Create a daunting task, 2) Create what seems to be a horribly short timeline to do it, 3) Show people responsible for task goofing off, travelling, etc, 4) Complete task and acquire accolades.

That said though, I like the show. Sam is a good host. And I think like many, I felt I was gonna get a peak into the much wider world of craft brewing.

I think they keep moving it because of football. But everytime they move it, it's on another footballcentric day. At least I can see it when it comes back on late at night.

Yeah, how come this show is not what everyone thought it would be after 3 episodes?

Apart from adding barley and using flaked maze, and not germinating the corn and no one using the chewing method, he also filtered his "chicha" made it with triple the ABV and hawked huge loogies in there, exactly the opposite of the way that the only person in Peru who chews the corn does it.

God for Sam, living the dream, I really do mean it. But he is, and always has been, more about a clever idea than a great execution.

Jus' sayin'

God for Sam, living the dream, I really do mean it. But he is, and always has been, more about a clever idea than a great execution.

Jus' sayin'

I get what your saying and all, but to be the owner of a successful brewery like that, you need to have some great execution...

I get what your saying and all, but to be the owner of a successful brewery like that, you need to have some great execution...

No you don't, you only need a product that sells well. McD's doesn't have any burgers with great execution.

I like watching the show, but I really don't think Sam makes a single Great Beer. If you do, though, enjoy it! :tank:

I hate to say this, but it seems to me some people are angry and/or jealous. Facts are facts: he's successful and the beer sells. I respect and applaud anyone who is successful, provided they're responsible, ethical, moral, fair, etc. Sam plays by the rules and his passion/heart are in the right place. I would love to work for him. As a brewer, why not be supportive of Sam/DFH?

And, to the last comment of a 'single great beer'. Have you tried all of them? Have you seen the list of brews offered at the restaurant? There's 24-plus different brews listed.

lmnop said:

Jus' sayin'

No you don't, you only need a product that sells well. McD's doesn't have any burgers with great execution.

I like watching the show, but I really don't think Sam makes a single Great Beer. If you do, though, enjoy it! :tank:

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but not liking any of his beers that you've tried does not equal bad execution. Realize your confusion, and please don't criticize irrelevant traits unwarranted by your ignorance.

TB

Johnny, I dunno if I'd go so far as to say people are angry or jealous of Sam. And in terms of his success and execution, I think his brewmasters are the ones who are responsible for that. At least the way the show portrays it, Sam's current contribution seems to be traveling "face of DFH", and comes up with an idea for a beer, but it's up to the guys back at the brewery to execute that. I mean, it's easy for me to say "I want to put lingonberries and meatballs in a beer to make a Swedish Holiday Brew!" but it's up to the guys to figure out how to make that work. Now, to his credit, he's done an incredibly smart thing in surrounding himself with people like that - sign of a great businessman there.

I don't think the producers chose DFH on the strength of their beers, or their success (they're not THAT successful, compared to many other microbreweries out there) but I think it's a combination of their story, their willingness to try new things, and Sam's goofy/likeable persona.

Where I think it's disappointing folks is that the show can come off as being more about goofy shennanigans as opposed to the actual craft of making beer. But we have to remember that this show isn't aimed at brewers, it's aimed at your average guy who's into beer - the guys who are thinking about maybe getting a Mr. Beer kit one day, as opposed to those of us who are trying to figure out if RIMS or HERMS is the way to go for a new rig. And y'know, if it does make a few folks get a Mr. Beer, and get into brewing, then great!

Ubermick - I agree with most of your comments. Great leaders don't have to be good at everything, execution included. But, they need to find those who can pick up the slack and be the expert (as you said). In the very least, though, the leader executed enough in the nascent stages to build something and ID the right people; which is execution.

Where I disagree is with the anger and jealousy. When someone can only find fault in someone else (who is successful) on a topic they commonly share, often times there are levels of jealousy, inadequacy, resentment or some other internal issue that makes them negative. Sure, people are entitled to their opinion, but when their statements of 'opinion' are routinely contrary and without base, there's more to their statement than just an opinion. "Yeah, he's got a big brewery, but none of his beers are good". Real opinion or some level of jealousy/resentment?

The show is indeed a typical reality show and it is not going to be chock full of the technical details a lot of us here in LHBT would like to see. But, I still enjoy watching it. It's entertaining and is on a topic I am passionate about. And, I would have never known about Bitches Brew (which I found and plan to share with my brother who also brews) or Chicha if I haven't watched it.

Stay open, Folks, and brew on!

Ubermick - I agree with most of your comments. Great leaders don't have to be good at everything, execution included. But, they need to find those who can pick up the slack and be the expert (as you said). In the very least, though, the leader executed enough in the nascent stages to build something and ID the right people; which is execution.

Where I disagree is with the anger and jealousy. When someone can only find fault in someone else (who is successful) on a topic they commonly share, often times there are levels of jealousy, inadequacy, resentment or some other internal issue that makes them negative. Sure, people are entitled to their opinion, but when their statements of 'opinion' are routinely contrary and without base, there's more to their statement than just an opinion. "Yeah, he's got a big brewery, but none of his beers are good". Real opinion or some level of jealousy/resentment?

The show is indeed a typical reality show and it is not going to be chock full of the technical details a lot of us here in LHBT would like to see. But, I still enjoy watching it. It's entertaining and is on a topic I am passionate about. And, I would have never known about Bitches Brew (which I found and plan to share with my brother who also brews) or Chicha if I haven't watched it.

Stay open, Folks, and brew on!

I agree with both Ubermick and Jonnybrew. I like the show for what it is which is a non-technical beer brewing reality show. How many TV shows do you know that actually go into the technicalities of an issue? Even news channels don't do that. People turn on TVs to be entertained. To someone unexperienced with brewing I think the show would be rather educational and informative. Hell I have talked with people that love beer that don't even know what barley or hops are or even that you have to boil beer to make it. They would learn all of this watching the show.

I mean, it's easy for me to say "I want to put lingonberries and meatballs in a beer to make a Swedish Holiday Brew!" but it's up to the guys to figure out how to make that work.

Isn't that going to be episode 6? :D

haha

Advertisement, gimmic, infomercial, marketing ploy, theres a sucker born every minute, etc.

I use urine in my beer so I should have a show too.

haha hey lets add ground peoeple. ive heard that tribes used to do that too.

Off centered ales for people that eat people.

I see we've come back around to groundless bashing again. Glad this thread could get back on track.

If you're going to say something negative at least have an argument to support it that approaches the realm of valid. Just declaring a beer "gimmicky" does not automatically make it bad.

I see we've come back around to groundless bashing again. Glad this thread could get back on track.

If you're going to say something negative at least have an argument to support it that approaches the realm of valid. Just declaring a beer "gimmicky" does not automatically make it bad.

Seriously. Saying DFH doesn't make a good beer is a ridiculous statement. They have something for every taste profile.

So, in case anyone wasn't paying attention: if you don't love Sam AND love dogfish head's sugar water, I mean beer, then you are jealous AND you don't know anything about beer, AND you are an idiot.

Seriously, you guys? Drink the koolaid much?

So, in case anyone wasn't paying attention: if you don't love Sam AND love dogfish head's sugar water, I mean beer, then you are jealous AND you don't know anything about beer, AND you are an idiot.

So do you not like IPAs? Their 60 Minute is one of the best IPAs on the market.

Seriously. Saying DFH doesn't make a good beer is a ridiculous statement. They have something for every taste profile.

I'd love to try their "this beer isn't under attenuated" flavor profile beer, then. Which one is that?

It's an IPA with enough malt to be a dopplebock; it isn't horrible, but I would prefer a dozen other IPAs over it, because they showcase the hops.

No.

But saying their beer is factually horrible is just as dismissive and equally incorrect.

I completely disagree not one of the best way overdone. Ive heard even the biggest of hopheads say that it was over hoppy. they are trying way to hard to please people that they nothing about.

I think Sam's haircut is ugly. He's such an idiot.

EDIT: I wanted to throw an equally productive statement out there since it seems so common in this thread.

I think the show is fun to watch. I've never had DFH. Can't get it here. But Sam seems like a fun guy who loves what he does. Just my .02. Not that it matters for anything.

Episode 4 coming up in less then an hour. I want to hear the story about what happened to the 120 min and what beer is made from cedar scraps.

Back