Restoring brass tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek210

Reaction score
Was in my LHBS the other day getting prices for a dual tower setup. He was showing me around the shop and showed me some of the random stuff he has picked up over time. One of the pieces was a brass (I think) triple tower setup, it was in rough shape tarnish wise and at first I was thinking ehhh I still want new. But now I am thinking I would like to restore this unit, will give the setup some character and will save some money.

What is the best way to restore something like this. I have some woodworking tools, but I also have a Porter Cable random orbital polisher I use in detailing. I thought I might be able to do something with that to restore it back. Any thoughts on bringing out the beauty in this old piece?

get a gallon of cheap vinegar, and submerge it in that. Add water to dilute it enought to completely cover it. leave it overnight/weekend.

I got a brass Tower, looked like $#!t when I got it in the mail.

Some elbow grease and brass cleaner/polisher and bingo! It's fantastic looking. I used "Brasso", it cleans, removes oxidation and when polished with a clean rag it creates a seal preventing future oxidation. Well that's what the bottle says.... I've had good results now for 2 months and can't complain.
I say get it and see how you can bring it back to life. Nothing like brass in my opinion.

yeah I think I am going to give it a shot on the cleanup. Now I have to decide if I stick with my original plan of converting an Oster 5.0, plugging up one of the tap holes. Or do I go the keezer route maybe building a topper to mount the tower.

Back