drying out tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmudrick

Reaction score
I always have a hard time getting the insides of my racking, bottling etc tubes dry. Would love to hear others' techniques for this.

I use the windmill method.

Firmly grip tube so that neither end touches ground.

Make sure that you have around 6 feet of clear area around you. Swinging a cat by the tail works to make sure you won't hit anything important with the hose. If cat abruptly stops while checking area, move offending item and retest with cat.

Twirl tubing around in a circle, clockwise or anti-clockwise, until it makes a nifty whistling sound. Stop and check tubing for fluid. If present, re-apply twirling until dry.

More advanced users of technique use "cowboy" method, which is the same as "windmill" method, but the tubing is twirled over your head. Care must be taken not to hit your Significant Other in the face with tubing, as that can ruin your whole brew day.

Sorry, honey. It won't happen again.... :(

I use the windmill method.

Firmly grip tube so that neither end touches ground.

Make sure that you have around 6 feet of clear area around you. Swinging a cat by the tail works to make sure you won't hit anything important with the hose. If cat abruptly stops while checking area, move offending item and retest with cat.

Twirl tubing around in a circle, clockwise or anti-clockwise, until it makes a nifty whistling sound. Stop and check tubing for fluid. If present, re-apply twirling until dry.

More advanced users of technique use "cowboy" method, which is the same as "windmill" method, but the tubing is twirled over your head. Care must be taken not to hit your Significant Other in the face with tubing, as that can ruin your whole brew day.

Sorry, honey. It won't happen again.... :(

This should be stickied just for this comment.

I do the cowboy method when I think about it, usually I just hang the hoses up and let them drip dry (but maybe silicone dries easier than the vinyl tube).

hmmm anti-clockwise. I'm curious, when anti-clockwise and clockwise come together does time stop? or maybe just a big explosion

I ditched all my vinyl tubing in favor the silicone tubing. It has very little memory and hangs and dries without effort. It remains pliable so I can put it on a spigot or racking cane and it seals much better than stiff vinyl tubing. It also coils easier to put in a bucket of sanitizing solution.

While it is pricey at 2 bucks a foot, it sure makes life easier when racking to kegs!

Austin Homebrew sells it here. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_59_549

hmmm anti-clockwise. I'm curious, when anti-clockwise and clockwise come together does time stop? or maybe just a big explosion

4282008123824AM_391.jpg

I hang mine in the sun. It never seems to dry without heat applied.

you guys dry it out? I just flush it real good with water and make sure it's clean, then flush it with my sanitizer, empty it out as best I can then back into storage until next time. It's always still wet on the inside when I get it back out, but then I just flush it real good with sanitizer again and go on my merry way.

Do I need to start windmilling or cowboying the thing?

you guys dry it out? I just flush it real good with water and make sure it's clean, then flush it with my sanitizer, empty it out as best I can then back into storage until next time. It's always still wet on the inside when I get it back out, but then I just flush it real good with sanitizer again and go on my merry way.

Do I need to start windmilling or cowboying the thing?

I would not want to leave water or sanitizer in it.

I just hang mine on a nail in the wall until I need it again.

Thanks guys. Hmm. Windmilling might be tough in my house (small South Philly rowhome) - even my concrete backyard is kind of tight. I'll give it a whirl though.

If you stop by my brewery we can put out the live trap and snag you one of the local ragamuffin cats. Might end up with a possum or raccoon, or possibly a skunk, but all of those have tails as well. And as a bonus, if it's a sunk your beers will have an excuse for that oxidized hops smell.

I would not want to leave water or sanitizer in it.
If this is the case, what I do must be wrong. After flushing it out, I fill the tube with fresh Star San and join the two ends with a one inch long piece of rigid tube. I store mine full of sanitizer. No problems so far.

If this is the case, what I do must be wrong. After flushing it out, I fill the tube with fresh Star San and join the two ends with a one inch long piece of rigid tube. I store mine full of sanitizer. No problems so far.

I don't like the slime it leaves behind.

starsan leaving slime?

Actually, you can store your tube full like that. I wouldn't want to hang it up wet if it would stay that way and have just droplets, since it might neutralized and still be moist enough to host bacteria, mold, etc. But if you keep it sealed, it won't dry part way, it'll stay sealed and be less likely to denature.

. . . if you keep it sealed, it won't dry part way, it'll stay sealed and be less likely to denature.
Before I started sealing it full of sanitize, I would always get water spots no matter how much I spun it around and I'm always afraid that sticking anything in the tube to clean it will scratch and make places for bacteria to grow. Since leaving it full of Star San I haven’t seen any haze or spots and have not noticed any film.

Back