Tomato Wine Status

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
Here is my tomato wine 5 days after pitching yeast, and racked of gross lees. I assumed it would have more color to it.

Tomato wine?!?

1620742673_532dd66d_mind_blown_xlarge.jpeg

Sounds interesting!

(Sorry for threadjack, lol).

I've always seen it come out a nice golden, maybe a touch orange color. Looks good though!

Depends on your SG, maybe topping off would be good.

If you look at a quart of canned tomatoes the juice in there is also golden not red. There would be no harm if you dropped a few elderberries in there for some tannin and color :) WVMJ

I've always seen it come out a nice golden, maybe a touch orange color. Looks good though!

Depends on your SG, maybe topping off would be good.

I have been trying to decide what to top it off with. Right not there is so much CO2 in it that there is no urgency. You can see with the jar on the right the foam got pretty high.

What do you suggest? I had thought about some tomato juice.

Mountain Jack How many do you think I should use? Would they mix with the peppercorns? and Where is Karnage :)

My tomato wine is light golden in color, never red or even pink and I use super ripe tomatoes.

You can top up with any white wine, like a cheap pinot grigio or something like that.

Depends if you used Red Green. Karnage is right next to Mahem WV, just to the right of it. It depends how red you want it, a little red a little handful, a lot red a big handful but then it might start tasting like elderberries more than tomaters. WVMJ

Well Mahem Mountain is beside of Mount Hope and there will be Karnage there some day.

Kaos is to our north, Havoc to the south, Befuddlement valley obviously to the East right near the bay of Maryland. FOr some reason folks that come to visit us never make it, or back out................ WVMJ

I am not happy with the color of my tomato wine. What do you think? I started with 6 pounds of tomato's for this 1 3/4 gal batch. Should I get some more and let it start up again?

I am not happy with the color of my tomato wine. What do you think? I started with 6 pounds of tomato's for this 1 3/4 gal batch. Should I get some more and let it start up again?

That seems about right- but you've got a ton of lees there! If you haven't racked off the lees in the last 30 days, it'd be better to do that ASAP. And top up, as there is way too much headspace in that jug on the left (can't see the right)l

If you don't like the color, I'm not sure what to suggest. My tomato wine is golden colored, but it's not far from your photos.

It has actually only been 8 days since I racked it into the jugs from the fermenting bucket. There is still lots of CO2. I have been looking for some marbles to put in to fill the space.

This is my first time with tomato wine so I wasn't sure if the color was too pale or not.

It has actually only been 8 days since I racked it into the jugs from the fermenting bucket. There is still lots of CO2. I have been looking for some marbles to put in to fill the space.

This is my first time with tomato wine so I wasn't sure if the color was too pale or not.

The color is a bit light, but I would expect a white or golden color in the end.

It's amazing that that many lees fell in only 8 days. That really surprises me, as that is a lot of lees. I normally rack whenever I get lees 1/4" thick or more, and that's usually only after 30-45 days after putting into secondary usually.

I'd rack pretty soon, and then top up and let it clear.

I remember that you mostly like dry wines. Have you ever sweetened a tomato wine? If you did how did it turn out?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Yopper.

I just finished racking the wine off of the sediment. I filled a 1 gallon and a 3 liter wine jug and had enough left to check the acid and ph, Couldn't help sampling. This might turn out OK.

MarbleKing.com has American made glass marbles without lead like the foreign marbles and its in WV. If you look at a quart of canned tomaotes you can see that the juice is actually clear and golden, and not red, just the skins is red and some of the pulp, at least in ours. WVMJ

I have been to the Marble King web site. I have been meaning to call them. Most marbles have lead and or cadmium in them and both are toxic to humans. I had a friend who made marbles from glass bottles he found metal detecting. I have thought about calling his family and see if they still had his tools.

Right now I am leaning towards some 304 stainless steel bolts. According to what I read 304 is food safe.

MarbleKing has safe marbles, lead free, made USA, get the plain old clear ones. I would have never posted a link to dirty marbles, they are nice folks and ship fast, you could have already had them by now. Bolts will do a nice job cracking those jugs :) WVMJ

I found some food safe SS Nuts yesterday. I will tie a string around the bottom one, feed the string through the rest, sanitize it all and lower them into the jug.

In the process I got to test some homemade elderberry wine. Pretty good too. No wonder you like it.

Back