Should I buy this equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT2

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new here and new to home brewing. I am really obsessing over brewing my own beer and have been researching and looking at equipment for a little while now. I found some stuff for sale but wanted to check here if it is a good deal. The guy wants $800 OBO and said he hasn't brewed in a couple years and is selling to help buy his kid a car.

P8172498_zps3bb16723.jpg

P8172501_zps34517055.jpg

P8172504_zps6e97616f.jpg

P8172508_zpsc8f9bd21.jpg

Along with this stuff he says he has an "ugly" keggerator, Jockey box, 100+ grolsh bottles, 2 glass carboys and more.

My first plan was to just get enough stuff to make is so I can all grain brew 5 gallon batches and then eventually buy the stuff needed to be able to keg, but this seems like a good deal with everything that is included, or am I wrong?

Not a bad assortment of stuff for the price. My one concern is the fact that he's selling very good condition keggles, which leads me to believe he sourced them from...welll....himself. I'm not one to harp on people for illegal kegs, but ya know...karma and all. I guess he could have gotten them from a legit source. Not sure how you factor that into your price. What's a deposit on a keg run in your parts? You can assume that's how much he paid for the kegs.

EDIT: I'm referring to the 1/2bbls, not the cornies. Wasn't clear about that I guess.

Not a bad assortment of stuff for the price. My one concern is the fact that he's selling very good condition keggles, which leads me to believe he sourced them from...welll....himself. I'm not one to harp on people for illegal kegs, but ya know...karma and all. I guess he could have gotten them from a legit source. Not sure how you factor that into your price. What's a deposit on a keg run in your parts? You can assume that's how much he paid for the kegs.

EDIT: I'm referring to the 1/2bbls, not the cornies. Wasn't clear about that I guess.

I hate how people are so quick to jump on this wagon. Working as a brewer I have just acquired the first of my kegs for a keggle system and got a great deal on a legit keg in good shape.

Sometimes people get good deals, sometimes they pass them along and sometimes it isn't worth trying to recoup the cost invested into something you haven't used in some time because you just want it gone.

The buyer is purchasing in good faith with no reason to doubt it is misplaced.

If you went and bought all this new, it'd cost you a fair bit. And the time to assemble it all. Here's what you might expect to pay for all the stuff in the pics:

$75/ea for the burners ($225)
$60/ea for the cornies ($240)
$100 for the tank/reg
$110 for the mill (assuming basic model)
$80 for the chiller
$20 for the scale
$25 for the sparge arm
$50 for the paddle
$27 sight glass
$25/ea for the weldless bulkhead/valve ($75)
$50/ea kegs (if fair scrap?) - $150
$50 false bottom + dip tube
$40/ea carboy ($80)
$10 bottles
$100 kegerator
$40 jockey box
$20 random tubing in the box in the background

total: $1402 + taxes + shipping

Sometimes people get good deals, sometimes they pass them along and sometimes it isn't worth trying to recoup the cost invested into something you haven't used in some time because you just want it gone.

The buyer is purchasing in good faith with no reason to doubt it is misplaced.

No doubt. I've gotten my kegs from a mixed bag. One I bought directly from a brewery, the other I rescued from the back of a scrap dumpster for a small price. I'm not saying not to purchase it, and if I sounded like I was presuming guilt, I was not. All I was saying was, buyer beware. It can't hurt to ask the seller. If you place a high value on getting legal kegs, that is something you want to consider. If not (and I actually fall into the latter category), then don't sweat it.

If you went and bought all this new, it'd cost you a fair bit. And the time to assemble it all. Here's what you might expect to pay for all the stuff in the pics:

$75/ea for the burners ($225)
$60/ea for the cornies ($240)
$100 for the tank/reg
$110 for the mill (assuming basic model)
$80 for the chiller
$20 for the scale
$25 for the sparge arm
$50 for the paddle
$27 sight glass
$25/ea for the weldless bulkhead/valve ($75)
$50/ea kegs (if fair scrap?) - $150
$50 false bottom + dip tube
$40/ea carboy ($80)
$10 bottles
$100 kegerator
$40 jockey box
$20 random tubing in the box in the background

total: $1402 + taxes + shipping

I didn't see $800 worth of stuff, but I didn't see the kegerator.

The list above may be accurate- but lots of that stuff you don't need or wouldn't buy if it wasn't already there.

Unless I was sure I could use the system, I would hesitate. It's a gravity system, and that's fine for many. But I would not have any use for the bottles, the carboys, etc- so it wouldn't be much of a bargain for me.

It really depends on you as a new brewer, and where you see yourself going in the hobby. It's a lot of money for stuff that you may never use, or it's a good deal if you'll use everything he's selling.

I think it is a good deal. That said, he says $800 obo. So offer him $675 or so and let him work you up to $725. Make it a better deal :)

No doubt. I've gotten my kegs from a mixed bag. One I bought directly from a brewery, the other I rescued from the back of a scrap dumpster for a small price. I'm not saying not to purchase it, and if I sounded like I was presuming guilt, I was not. All I was saying was, buyer beware. It can't hurt to ask the seller. If you place a high value on getting legal kegs, that is something you want to consider. If not (and I actually fall into the latter category), then don't sweat it.

Wasn't really calling you out on it, more pointing out that there are many ways of getting kegs that are all good faith purchases. What makes it harder is there is no simple "keg registration" line that you could possibly check to make sure it is legit.

Thanks for all the replies. And thanks for the breakdown outside92129.

Im still mulling over it. It is a decent amount of money especially for me right now.

It's a fairly good deal in my opinion if you're going to use all that equipment. If you're looking to upgrade a few pieces than it might not be worth it. The kegging system alone is probably around $200 - $300 depending on the quality and state of the kegerator.

Wasn't really calling you out on it, more pointing out that there are many ways of getting kegs that are all good faith purchases. What makes it harder is there is no simple "keg registration" line that you could possibly check to make sure it is legit.

No worries. I know what you mean. :mug:

Back