First GF true Lager...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
I brewed my first actual lager yesterday. It is happily fermenting away in my basement right now. I found my basement temperature to be consistently around 55 F, so I've got the carboy sitting in a big plastic bowl of water with a wet t-shirt over it.

For anyone interested, the recipe is:

6 lbs Breiss Sorghum extract
1 lb D-90 Belgian Candi Syrup
4 oz Maltodextrin
1 oz Perle, 60 min
1 oz Hersbrucker, 15 min

And the W-34/70 lager yeast. I put the sorghum and candi syrup in at 30 minutes. It came out a nice, dark color. It looks and smells great.

Now all I need is patience...

Nice looking recipe. I have done a few lagers with all sorghum and they came out clean. Please keep us updated on how this turns out.

Off topic, but I brewed your Altbier recipe a few years back and it was one of my favorite beers I have ever had. Thanks for sharing your recipes!

I hope to someday have the temperature control to brew some lagers. We had a good 3-week cold-spell here in the SF Bay Area up until last week, where the temperature was consistently below 50 degrees...if I'd known it was coming and was going to last that long, I'd definitely have taken a shot at a pilsner or a dopplebock. Back in the days when I could drink barley-based beers, Optimator was one of my favorites....

I hope to someday have the temperature control to brew some lagers. We had a good 3-week cold-spell here in the SF Bay Area up until last week, where the temperature was consistently below 50 degrees...if I'd known it was coming and was going to last that long, I'd definitely have taken a shot at a pilsner or a dopplebock. Back in the days when I could drink barley-based beers, Optimator was one of my favorites....

Optimator was what I was thinking about (though I didn't want something that strong).

This basement floor cooling setup probably isn't optimal, and if I didn't have another beer on tap in my mini-fridge I would probably have it in there.

I've checked on it a couple times, and it seems to be hanging out around 56 F, so I think I'm going to start tossing a one of those blue cooler ice blocks in the water with it every day.

Back