What the heck is this alien looking thing in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
So I brewed a Cascadian Dark Ale (black IPA) and while I was transferring the beer to bottling bucket I see this thing in my beer!

GalaxyS3backup250.jpg

It looks like a lifeform of some kind!

This was a dry hopped beer (pellet hops) and most of the hop trub from the kettle was transferred to the fermenter but that thing doesn't look like hops to me.

What could this be? Beer tasted fine at bottling. We shall see.

Cold break protein knocked loose and floating, most likely.

It did cross my mind that maybe it was a clump of protein but I have never used whirfloc or irish moss so I have never had anything but trub in the bottom of my beers till this. This was after 28 days in primary.

Too many skin cells fell into the wort during your brew process. Yeast has metabolized your DNA and is producing a freakish human-fungus hellspawn.

It happens more often than you'd think.

Hahaha! It does look like some type of Fungi.

I'm now afraid one of these hellspawns may crawl out of my bottles and end up feeding on my insides while I sleep! :(

I feel like now that I have seen this men in black suits are going to kill me in my sleep.

It seems to me that in bigger beers with lots of hops that the yeast does things it normally wouldn't, even when the yeast selection is the same. I used US-05 in both a light 'lawnmower' type ale and in a SNPA clone and the yeast formations were radically different. Both were fermented at the same temps.

My best guess anyway. :drunk:

Rick

Looks someone dropped an alien fetus in your beer.

I still wouldn't spill it :mug:

Haha "dry hopped with alien fetus.."

That beer is ruined. Dont drink it!!! Package it up and send it to me for proper disposal. I have an Acme Alien Disposal kit that I bought some time ago. :D

To be honest,it looks a heck of a lot like the root plant of mushrooms. The mushroom itself mearly being the "flower"...

Ironically....I named this beer 27 days before I bottled.

"Zombie Brains IPA"

I named it that because this is what it looked like 12 hours after pitching US-05 yeast!

20121112_191808.jpg

It's mostly the late addition hops with some trub mixed in that later all settled out.

Here is what this stuff looked like at high-krausen @ 65F

[ame]http://youtu.be/PMHqeVIIGn8[/ame]

It is your yeast clumping together to spell "EFF YOU!" for calling them something as fruity as "cascadian dark ale".

;)

Arrheinous said:
Too many skin cells fell into the wort during your brew process. Yeast has metabolized your DNA and is producing a freakish human-fungus hellspawn.

It happens more often than you'd think.

*arnold voice* WHAT DA HELL AH YOU

It is your yeast clumping together to spell "EFF YOU!" for calling them something as fruity as "cascadian dark ale".

;)

Quite possibly. Hmm.

This is why I named this beer "Zombie Brains IPA" in hopes of appeasing the yeasties. :drunk:

Seriously, I keep thinking about this picture at work and it's making me nauseous.

I'm glad I have a strong stomach...because I plan to crack open the first carbonated bottle of this in about 10 days! :tank:

I will update this thread with a picture of the final product in a glass.

Back