Coleman cooler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet baby gesus that's expensive. That being said I'm don't know about the false bottom or ss hose use or even as using it for a mlt but what I can tell u is those mofos hold temps awesome. My little sister has a bud light one that she won and she.said she has kept ice and beer cold in it for 4 days with one bag of ice that would be a huge plus for a mlt

Double R has the right idea. Just remember that bigger may not be better when it comes to your mash tun.

What size batches are you brewing? If you are only doing 5 gallon batches, anything much over 34 to 48 qt [which can accommodate the grain bill for high gravity beers] can actually be too big. You want to make sure you have a nice deep grain bed [6"-12"] to filter your wort. If you get some huge 70 gallon cooler b/c it is on sale, you could end up spreading your regular gravity beer grains too thin and end up with cloudy wort.

Good luck, my friend, and happy brewing!

Thanks. I only do 5 gallon batches right now. After doing a little more reading, I decided to go with the 36qt Coleman Xtreme.

You have to admit though, the Coleman steel one in Stainless would have looked pretty good on the brewstand. :mug:

Yeah. I actually have one in stainless. Thing is amazing and keeps ice for 4 or 5 days in July, even with constant opening and closing.

Anyway, I think you will be happy with your choice and I'll bet you are dropping less than $30 on it so it's a great investment.

Oh - one last piece of advice; the extreme comes in 2 styles. The extreme blue is a great cooler, no doubt, but the extreme green has even MORE insulating value. If you can find one, that thing would be boss!

Happy brewing!

Yeah. I actually have one in stainless. Thing is amazing and keeps ice for 4 or 5 days in July, even with constant opening and closing.

Anyway, I think you will be happy with your choice and I'll bet you are dropping less than $30 on it so it's a great investment.

Oh - one last piece of advice; the extreme comes in 2 styles. The extreme blue is a great cooler, no doubt, but the extreme green has even MORE insulating value. If you can find one, that thing would be boss!

Happy brewing!

I too have an old Coleman steel-belted 12 gallon cooler. It never loses a single degree on our mashes. The thing is pretty incredible.

Back