Is today the day that baseball died?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cnbudz said:
It's not dead, just in a coma... someone who's legit will eventually reclaim that record...

A-Rod? He is on pace to kill the record.

TOTAL

Hey Berry

middle_finger_flame.jpg

I was watching SportsCenter-interrupted and my dad walks by,
Dad: "Did he break it?"
Me: "Yeah."
Dad: "That sucks."

Baseball needs a new commissioner, one that can back the owners/players up to the wall, grab them by the balls, and make them fix the game. And fine the $%!+ out of anyone that says the word "strike." I vote Bob Costas:)

Baseballs not dead, we have the Tigers! As far as the record being broke someone will pass him. If Bonds wasn't such a DICK I think it would have been a lot different roids or not. People might have cared more.

I stopped as soon as Cal stopped and started Comcast commercials....

cnbudz said:
It's not dead, just in a coma... someone who's legit will eventually reclaim that record...

Once all these steroid-era guys retire I think the game will get back to its old ways. You're already seeing it with a lot of the young teams.

Baseball attendance has been up in recent years. Seems to me that the roid-king is nothing more than a common enemy that we can all hate. Besides, he won't stand on top of the mountain long and will ALWAYS be knows as a cheat.

And honestly, cheating has been a part of baseball since LONG before our generation has been watching it. There have been corked bats, pitchers using various foreign substances, thrown games; hell even a thrown World Series!! Do you honestly think that some roided up a-hole is going to have ANY effect on our enjoyment of the game? PLEASE!!

Liquidsandwich said:
If Bonds wasn't such a DICK I think it would have been a lot different roids or not. People might have cared more.

Personally, I feel just the opposite...I don't really care how big a dick he is, I'd still respect his baseball accomplishments IF he hadn't cheated to get them.

In a totally unscientific poll on si.com, a lot of others apparently feel that way too. 90% say the record is either tainted or invalid due to steroids; only 27% say his persona changes how they view him as a player.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/POLLSERVER/results/33070.html

Axegod said:
No...it was dead after the last strike...and this is just some more odour from it.

It died for me during the 1990 strike when they extorted a $100,000 minimum starting salary. I wrote off pro baseball then and have not watched a game since. Don't miss it, don't pay attention to it, don't GAF about pro baseball.

I really don't GAF about professional sports in general since most of them went on strike and flipped off the fans who pay their salaries through exorbitant ticket prices while we see their unacceptable behavior get excused and excused time after time.

/rant off

EdWort said:
It died for me during the 1990 strike when they extorted a $100,000 minimum starting salary. I wrote off pro baseball then and have not watched a game since. Don't miss it, don't pay attention to it, don't GAF about pro baseball.

I really don't GAF about professional sports in general since most of them went on strike and flipped off the fans who pay their salaries through exorbitant ticket prices while we see their unacceptable behavior get excused and excused time after time.

/rant off

While I understand the frustration, it's hard to say the prices are "exorbitant" when MLB continues to set attendance records every year. It's what the market will bear (you and I are apparently not the market). In fact, in some cases it's less than the market will bear...bleacher seats at Wrigley Field in Chicago with a face value of $32-$42 :eek: are routinely scalped for 2x-3x that. Why the Cubs don't double the price, or auction them off, is beyond me.

And if people are willing to pay the money, why shouldn't the players get it? You'd rather have it go to the owners, who plead poverty and then threaten to move the team to extort public funds for their shiny new stadiums?

Bike N Brew said:
And if people are willing to pay the money, why shouldn't the players get it? You'd rather have it go to the owners, who plead poverty and then threaten to move the team to extort public funds for their shiny new stadiums?

Yeah, I know. Base Ball is not going away, I'm not supporting it and the root cause is they go on strike. Men playing ball, going on strike, not getting their way, taking their ball and going home, flipping off the fans. It's just not right.

How bout them Pirates :D

Bike N Brew said:
Why the Cubs don't double the price, or auction them off, is beyond me.

They do. They own the ticket broker that just happens to get most of the cherry seats to resell. It's a pretty raw deal for their fans.

Roids or not, he still had to make contact with the ball and put it in the air. Something which none of us has a chance of doing against a major league pitcher! For the record, Barry is a d!ck and that's why people are condemning him without PERSONALLY knowing all the facts. What, nobody thinks that Hank Aaron ever corked a bat in his day? Give me a f'n break!

A-hole is on pace to beat whatever record Barry leaves behind, but it has been reported recently that Jose Conseco will reveal in his new book coming out this fall that A-hole also used roids. My question is, who f'n cares?

Baseball is dead for me because it's August and time to talk Football!

Love or hate Bonds, he is the homerun King. They will never be able to take that away from him, because he has never tested positive for any banned substances and won't, and the last time I checked tax evasion is not a disqualifier. In September the Grand Jury will prosecute Bonds for tax evasion and he may even end up doing jail time.

In 10 years from now, Greg Anderson will write a book explaing in detail all of the s*&# Barry used starting in 1999, of special note will be the pictures of Barry's pimpled ass with a needle in it!

All that being said, WHO CARES!! let's talk football!!

Eastside

rdwj said:
They do. They own the ticket broker that just happens to get most of the cherry seats to resell. It's a pretty raw deal for their fans.
Cubs broker only sells tickets that season ticket holders turn back in for resale (which includes no bleacher seats). A small percentage of the overall resale.

The price is what the market will bear. If your stadium holds 40,000 people, and you can find 40,000 people who are willing to pay $X for a ticket, wouldn't you charge $X ?

First I will say up front that I think that Bonds is an A$$ and his general outlook toward the way that he treats fans and the press sucks. But I am confused as to when he was actually found guilty or when difinitive proof came out of when he used riods. I am not saying that he didn't but there has been no actual, set-in-stone answer as to when he did or not. With that said how about football... there have actually been players, albiet not the top players in the league, but players in the NFL nontheless, that have tested positive and been suspended for "performance enhancing drugs" and no one is really bitching about that.

Here are a few articles to prove my point:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15925523/
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=249912

Also what about Mr McGwire.

The way I see is no matter what Bonds was and is a good ball palyer (A-Hole or not). He was good before the roids and he is good after. he will probably retire now and we can all stop watching him.

So is baseball dead? No, still mine and America's Favorite Pastime.

Cheers
GO Cubs

kcuf all this, I'm ready for tomorrow's opener!! I don't care who's playing, it's been months since the last football game I saw and I'm ready for more!!

wop31 said:
Very interesting, I never thought of those, the only advantage i ever really thought of was the leaning in more to take the outside pitch one.

Have to keep a lookout to see how this theory plays out. Maybe it will give old Bud Selig a reason to start looking into things a little more.

Cheers

I believe the size/shape of these have been seriously limited in the past few years. Bonds was grandfathered in so he was able to keep the armor.

wop31 said:
Very interesting, I never thought of those, the only advantage i ever really thought of was the leaning in more to take the outside pitch

Yeah, the writer glosses over what is probably the biggest advantage...not just reaching the outside pitch, but reaching it with a smaller, lighter bat than just about any power hitter in history has used. Because of the small bat (and the 'roids, and his natural talent), he can stand on top of the plate, reach the outside pitch, and still get around fast enough to turn on inside pitches.

Ironically, because he can use the small bat and be so quick inside, Bonds doesn't get hit all that often (~ 10 per year, far from the league leaders). Pitchers just won't throw inside to him.

Back