Keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just cut the top off an old aluminum benson schmidt 'fass' to make a 15 gal boil pot, but I'm now faced with the next task of sealing the holes where the old valves were. I don't know about having a tig welder do some magic, but was thinking about using quick steel. It is supposed to be good upto 500 degrees and safe on drinking water pipes???? Any thoughts

Here is the photo of the keg / pot

IMAG0148.jpg

I'd use it for something else. Looks like a lot of work to get it "right". I can't even guess why the inside looks like that.

BTW, I have 3 keggles. One of them I got for $20. All 3 were shiney and clean (and stinky) on the inside.

It's not rust (aluminum), but I do know this keg used to be filled with Guiness. My guess is that it is the old residue as it seems to clean up pretty easy in the few spots I've tried.

$20 seems like an amazime price for a keggle. I'm pricing out a ball valve & bazooka screen for this and already looking at around 50 bucks...

My next door neighbor has one that has sat in his garage for years with about 1g of nasty in it. He'd give it to me but I don't have any use for it. (I came down from the attic today and he was sitting on my back patio with my tv on, football, drinking from my keg; I love that guy). Point is, they are everywhere. Just ask around.

Back