Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my dogs go crazy for them also. just made 3 cookie sheets worth today. tried to go from memory and forgot the peanut butter, they turned out ok and i am sure the dogs will love them

I've even found a cat that likes 'em! hah. Also, unless you make a LOT of these you will still have leftover grains, another way to recycle them is to use the grains in homemade bread! It gives the bread more nutritional value and adds some substance. There are plenty of threads on HBT, one in particular by Orfy, with multiple recipes of bread that are easy and delicious! RDWHAHB

just made these tonight with the grains from my first AG. i put a little of the grains in the dogfood dish first, just to see if they both like them. emmy looked at me like what am i supposed to do with that, then she sniffed the grains and they were gone. now shes all excited while they cook in the oven. i'm sure i made the house smell all delicious for her. thanks for the recipe.

I've made several batches of these. My dog loves them way more than the store bought treats. When we walk in the field behind the house she purposefully wanders so I'll call her back with a treat. If I make the slightest gesture toward my pocket she comes tearing through the snow.

So now, between the chickens and the dog, the spent grains are taken care of!

Many times I've scooped out 4 cups of grain with the intention of making these, but this is the first time I've actually followed through! I think next time I can fit 1.5 batches on a single sheet, which is good because with a Newfoundland puppy and a basset hound, training treats are in high demand!

Companies making these are poping up all over the place. I went to my old LHBS last weekend and someone was making "Beer Bones". Crazy man, crazy!

Mine are getting better... They look like bones now. Haven't sold any per say but friends have given me money for them but that covered supplies and maybe a little of my time. Nothing to quit my day job for. Better then dumping the grains in the trash.

184199_1858572780809_1135582351_32291083_4719821_n.jpg

Mine are getting better... They look like bones now. Haven't sold any per say but friends have given me money for them but that covered supplies and maybe a little of my time. Nothing to quit my day job for. Better then dumping the grains in the trash.

Lots of little doggie bone[er]s... :D

Looking good, bet they taste great too.

Did you use the Demarle mold for those?

Not sure. I dropped my car off to have the oil changed. Was walking around the shopping center and they had a Tuesday morning? I walked in and got the man scowl, "What are you and your penis doing in here" look. Anyway its like a close-out place and they had some copper dog bone cookie cutters. They had 3 in the container and middle one makes the perfect size i think.

This is them, but they were like 5 bucks i think. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GJXO9K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure. I dropped my car off to have the oil changed. Was walking around the shopping center and they had a Tuesday morning? I walked in and got the man scowl, "What are you and your penis doing in here" look. Anyway its like a close-out place and they had some copper dog bone cookie cutters. They had 3 in the container and middle one makes the perfect size i think.

This is them, but they were like 5 bucks i think. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GJXO9K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

OK, they are not. Demarle makes silicone release molds for baking. They have one for dog bones that I just bought (waiting for shipment).

Your's look great. I might get some of those cookie cutters too. Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will tell you if you have a bread maker throwing all the ingredients in on the dough cycle and letting it do all the work is the way to go.

I bought one just to make these and spent grain bread and i think its worth the investment.

Yes, I have a bread maker! Good idea. Actually, my daughter is the dog treat maker.

I think the KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook would work well too? I don't know how she did it last time, but I think it was hand mixed.

Thanks the for the idea.

Your dog that is! Don't throw that grain away, make some doggie treats for your furry friend. They love them! Got this recipe from Beerrific a couple of days ago.

Original recipe:
4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs

Spent_Grain_Treats.jpg

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them. Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 3 to 4 hours (or until they are really dry) to prevent mold growth. Store in an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.

Thanks to Beerrific for the recipe, my mini doxie love them! I modified the recipe a bit and cut out my cookies and then put them on a sheet at 225 for 3 hours. They are completely dry and I'm sure she'll be happy when she wakes up.

My Puggle loves these treats. She was a little hesitant when I first made them, but goes crazy every time I whip the bag out now. Tonight she drug the bag from the kitchen to where I was watching TV because she wanted one... haha. I'll be making a batch every time I brew!

The great thing about home brewing is that I have not bought beer (except for scientific taste tests) or dog biscuits since I started. My dogs absolutely love these treats.

if I don't slow him down, my lab can plow through 10 lbs of spent grain in a single sitting. In talking with a few vet friends, no real worries as long as this isn't a frequent thing. He is basically a furry garbage disposal......who fortunately lives outdoors.

I just made these from 2 cups of wheat (partial mash - that's about all I had left over). The dog loves them, though he is a Lab -- what doesn't he love?

Very easy to make these, though I might skip the cookie cutters next time (a knife to just make squares would have been much quicker).

I'm now looking forward to going all grain... (as if I wasn't before)... making a bulk batch will be much better.

I'm going to have to wait now... just for another 6 months or so... My SWMBO just got a puglet, and there is NO way I can make a batch of cookies for him.

Back from what a few other people have said, I have made whole wheat bread with a breadmaker using a cup of spent grain. The only issue any of the family have noticed was "Not enough grain."

Like everyone else my dog LOVES these cookies. I have never seen her sit so patiently waiting for me to get them out of the bag..haha.

The only problem I have is that now she just spits out regular treats from the store.....oh well I guess that means I have to make more beer...lol.

Making some of these right now, although I added about 1/4 cup of water to make it easier to mix. Then I shaped out some doggie biscuits, and they are baking right now. Smells like they are going to be delicious! Buddy D. thanks you for this recipe!

trying this recipe out today for the first time. I dont have a dog but my friend has a dog and he helps me brew, so this is my payment haha. I think it's fitting that his dogs name is Barley.

danorocks17 said:
trying this recipe out today for the first time. I dont have a dog but my friend has a dog and he helps me brew, so this is my payment haha. I think it's fitting that his dogs name is Barley.

His dog will love 'em. all my dogs do.

Have you guys tasted these? I started making double batches, treats for the pups and treats for me! SO GOOD!!! Although I modified my batch and put some chocolate chips in - peanut butter chocolate grain bars!

if I don't slow him down, my lab can plow through 10 lbs of spent grain in a single sitting. In talking with a few vet friends, no real worries as long as this isn't a frequent thing. He is basically a furry garbage disposal......who fortunately lives outdoors.

Last weekend my dogs ate 5lbs in a sitting from a hole I buried it in for composting. They laid and stank for three days. Too much is too much.

My kids love making these with me for our Lab Finn. He absolutely loves them! I think he even knows that we make them for him, and that makes him like them even more!

Thanks for the recipe!

I made 8 batches of these between brewing thursday and today. Kolsch and Black IIPA. House smells great. They make great gifts and I barter for dog food at the local pet shop.
They take forever to dry but pretty quick to make.

My doggers love em, a boxer and a labber. I made a batch for dads boxer for his birthday and she couldn't hold them down. Very strange.

I put some spent grain aside after my last mash, with the intent to make some dog treats. I just haven't had the time until today and I'm wondering if there is any hazard with it sitting in pyrex in my fridge for two weeks.

Im guessing it should be fine but I'd like some more input considering I'll be gifting these treats.

Are there any concerns with using rice hulls? I'm brewing this weekend and my grain bill will be 15lbs + 0.5lb rice hulls.

Latest posts

Back