Favorite Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edie

Reaction score
we've been buying brewers best kits from our LHBS and are getting a little bored with the selection. considering ordering a kit from somewhere and wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

we're open to almost any type of beer less IPA's APA's. not really set up to lager (yet) but would be a good excuse to go ahead and buy a mini fridge.

:mug:

lots of good places out there. I have bought mainly from austinhomebrew.com and northernbrewer.com. They both have a good deal of variety, quick shipping, and good ingredients. they have both been helpful as well when I have questions....

Midwest also has a good selection of ale kits. AHB is great as well, but a bit more spendy than the later. However, their selection is huge. If you want to do a lager but dont want to spring for the lagering setup, why not do a California Common or Anchor Steam Clone. Its a great beer that uses lager yeast at ale temps. Also its not overly hoppy with a perfect amount of malt to it. Give it a shot.

Yesterday my first Northern brewer kit arrived, its a partial mash kit, Spekled Heiffer.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...sh-kits/speckled-heifer-partial-mash-kit.html

All I can say it is very nicely arranged, boxed, and the instructions are stupid proof. I haven't brewed it yet but will this weekend. I forgot to order a grain bag and they sent one in the kit anyway, somebody's paying attention there.

It is so nicely arranged I showed the wife, of course she didn't give a s%$t, but they earned a customer in me.

What about not using a kit? There are a ton of good recipes out there. I started brewing in '07, and I have never once purchased a kit. (Aside from two Mr. Beer batches that got me started)

stuck with brewers best. got the Kolsch and the Imperial Blonde Ale. maybe mess with the receipe a little.

I have been brewing for a year or so and have done a BB kit. and a munton's quick brew. they are good for having all the ingredients but i had problems wiht the BB yeast that came with the kit. didn't take and had to pitch some of my previous yeasts. (always kept a couple, JIC) haven't used a kit in quite some time. but it will be great

I think he is refering to "kit" as a recipe you would buy from AHB or NB.
I know what he meant. And I'm saying that there is more to brewing than just buying pre-put-together recipes that you get from either LHBS or online stores.

The way I see it, and maybe I'm the minority in the room right now, why brew something "cookie cutter" that thousands of other people have brewed? Find a good recipe, tweak it a little, and either enjoy and/or learn. At least thats my take on brewing.

Back