Pitching when wort is too warm (a little paranoid)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-tone

Reaction score
Ok, I know this is a bad deal, but I've got myself into a bit of a problem. Pretty sure I ended up dropping the yeast in to a batch of wort that was considerably higher than room temperature. Not sure of the temp, but I'm thinking around 85-90. I was brewing a dead guy clone, and the sg was 1.070, which was pretty much what i was shooting for which is partially why I went in early. I just did it about an hour ago, so I haven't had time to see if it's going to start gettting to work or not.

I guess I just asking if I've put the yeast at risk of getting "killed"? Also, if this is the case, do I have any options for saving the batch? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as evidenced by my issue, anybody with any preference/convictions about any particular type of wort chilling methods are more than welcome. Thanks!

Also, if it helps, I tend towards just a simple pot immersion method, stirring in the wort in an ice bath for while, but end up getting paranoid that its gonna get contaminated somehow, and pitching a bit early just so its sealed and done with...

85-90 shouldn't kill your yeast. It may "shock" the yeast a bit, causing a longer lag time, but you should be OK. Most brewer's yeast starts dying somewhere in the 110-120 range.

I think yeast are pretty tough, it just may take a while longer for the fermentation to start. My wife got me a kit last year with a Wyeast smack pack and left it in the car for 2 weeks before my birthday, in august, with 100+ degree temps in the car. It took 6 days for the smack pack to swell, but swell it did. I like to think that you're really not hurting your beer, you're just getting rid of the weakest yeast leaving only the strong to produce your beer...

The yeast may have a longer lag, as mentioned, but the other thing that may happen is while the yeast are multiplying at these higher temps they may be producing esters and higher alcohols (probably minimal) that would not have been there otherwise. Your beer may be a little fruitier than initially desired, but it will be a great beer I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance. I woke up this morning, and the primary is bubbling away, so it looks like the strong yeast are going to work. I'll keep an taste out for the esters, though. Thanks a lot.

Back