Wife's Birthday Dinner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I am going to be making my wife dinner for her birthday. I need a couple suggestions. First I havent decided what the hell I am making so I need suggestions. I do know that I am going to be doing a lobster bisque and bacon wrapped scallops. I think I might do the scallops in some sort of sweet maple wiskey sauce, dont know about that yet. So I need to deciding on a main dish and dessert. I am thinking maybe duck breast or lamb but im not sure yet.

Also, anybody have any good lobster bisque recipes?

Personally, I love scallops to be clean and simple. I just made them the other night, sauted in just a little butter, with just a wee bit of salt, pepper, and some dill weed for some color. Spash of white wine to bring it all together.

Instead of wrapping them in bacon (which I love), I've also just seared them in a little bacon fat. Different way to present the same flavors.

Can't help on the bisque.

Can't help you on the bisque (always felt like it was a "waste" of lobster), but scallops are always delicious. With all the seafood apps, I think moving back onto land is a good idea - maybe a crown of lamb?

I think surf and turf is the way to go with scallops. Why not some caramelized shallots with a wine sauce (Merlot perhaps?) for use with steak? Add some truffle mashed potatoes and you are good to go.

If you are really wanting to go with duck breast/lamb. I would sear some lamb chops and make a balsamic vinegar reduction to drizzle over top and serve the scallops before the lamb. Never been a fan of duck breast and scallops. Both are too sweet to be paired for my taste.

IMO, sweet sauces with scallops aren't too great. No sauce or something simple with a touch of citrus is nice.

I find one of the best "special" meals is surf and turf. Get some nice fillets or NY strips, cook them in a nice hot cask iron skillet. While the meat is resting, sear the scallops. Very simple and one of my (and SWMBO's) favorites. If you feel obligated you could pair those with some type of potato or green veg.

IMO, sweet sauces with scallops aren't too great. No sauce or something simple with a touch of citrus is nice.

I find one of the best "special" meals is surf and turf. Get some nice fillets or NY strips, cook them in a nice hot cask iron skillet. While the meat is resting, sear the scallops. Very simple and one of my (and SWMBO's) favorites. If you feel obligated you could pair those with some type of potato or green veg.

Stop stealing my idea :D!

I would normally agree with the sweet sauce and scallops but last night we went out and they had scallops in some sort of sweet whiskey sauce and it was REALLY damn good.

I can't help, I just want to know if your wife wouldn't mind another guest for dinner.

BTW, tell her happy birthday from HBT.

If you would be willing to come across the country I dont think she would be able to say no.

Back