Another Newbie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I just got my AG setup, and I've never used an immersion chiller before. I got a 50 ft coil with garden hose fittings. My question is, when and how do most of you here on HBT connect the in and out hoses?

I'm probably over thinking this, but I figure it's better to have a plan. If I put the hoses on before it goes in to the boil for 15 min, does the heat from the burner get the hose, or does the hose draping over the side get in the way? If I put the hoses on after the boil, how do you get them on when the coil is hot? If you use quick connects to make it easier to connect the hoses to a hot coil, don't they usually have plastic which might melt?

Are you saying the hoses aren't connected to the ends of the copper tubing? Mine were mounted when I bought it. All you do is hook one end to a garden hose and the other hose just hang out of your kettle. Typically we drop our chillers in at the last 15 minutes of the boil to sterilize it, but you already have everything hooked up.

The hose fittings are there, but not the hoses. I just wasnt sure if convention is to screw in the hoses and drop the coil in for 15, or to drop the coil in for 15 and then screw (or quick connect) the hoses.

I would attach them first, drape them out of the way of the burner heat, cook the coils for the last ~15 minutes of the boil, turn heat off, turn water on...chill

The connections of the hoses are above where the water/wort line will be right?!?!

The connections of the hoses are above where the water/wort line will be right?!?!

Correct. So, I'll drape the hose over during the last 15 of the boil. I just wasn't sure about the heat; never used a 72,000 BTU burner before!

Back