Aroma Hops, how and what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
I am thinking about using some finishing hops for AllGrainBrewing.
What are some of the better varieties and how do i use them
I only want to use pelleted hops.
I only brew pale ales, i usually use cascade or tatneger for bittering hops.

Brew on ,,cheers ,Colin

Hi Colin.

I use different aroma hops for different styles of beers so for me to comment, it would be helpful if you could let me know what style beer you plan on making.

Thanks.

Dr Malt:D

What's AGB? I consider aroma hopping a weakness in my repertoire...I've been adding 1oz at flameout in APA's and IPA's with decent results, but not what I was after. I thought that would be plenty, but Dude recently told me he uses 2oz of aroma hops at flameout and his beers have hop aroma in spades ( big RPA's), so I'll go that route next.

East Kent Goldings are the only hops worth using for aroma. :D
However:
1. I used to live in the middle of the Kentish hop country, and like the hops that I grew up with
2. The only beers I brew with aroma hops are southern English style pale ales and bitters (for which EKG's are great)
3. I am rather set in my ways, and refuse to admit that anything could be better than what I like.
If you want a more balanced view, visit http://www.hopsdirect.com/hops/leafhops.html or http://www.freshops.com/hvariety.html
to get a rather more balanced view.

-a.

For my first two AG brews I bought two kits from Northern Brewer (Bavarian Hefe, and an Oatmeal Stout) I was a little disappointed when each kit had only one type of hops. Maybe these recipes only call for one hop-in so I guess now I'll know that if I want to add aroma or flavoring hops I'll have to purchase them separately.

I know I know...buy in bulk, but for my first two I wanted to keep it simple.

If you're brewing an English Pale ale, I believe Kent Goldings and Fuggles are quite common. Challenger is also good. American Pale ales very often use Cascade or Willamette (an American derivative of Fuggle). I've heard Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus all give good results, too.

As for the amount, it depends on the style and your preference. Because of the way most of us homebrew, we have to really chuck in the aroma hops to match what a commercial brewer would get. To get a nice big aroma, follow the Baron's lead and try 1.5-2 oz. of pellet hops.

Incidentally, I'm going to try a Timothy Taylor's Landlord clone next week and hit it with 2 oz of Styrian Goldings at flameout. i'm hoping this will really create a nice bouquet. Good luck!

Monk

CollinsBrew said:
For my first two AG brews I bought two kits from Northern Brewer (Bavarian Hefe, and an Oatmeal Stout) I was a little disappointed when each kit had only one type of hops. Maybe these recipes only call for one hop-in so I guess now I'll know that if I want to add aroma or flavoring hops I'll have to purchase them separately.

I know I know...buy in bulk, but for my first two I wanted to keep it simple.

I would go whole hops if you can get them from your LHBS, they are easier to extract from the wort. You need to make sure your recipe reflects this of course but with my experience Promash has the same IBUs regardless of pellets or whole hops.

Good luck!

-- Trev

trev said:
with my experience Promash has the same IBUs regardless of pellets or whole hops.

-- Trev
Promash Does make adjustments to IBU dependent on the form of hops. There isn't a LOT of change, but there is a difference that is calculated. :)

Back