Cleaning new cooler MLT before first use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
Do I need to clean a brand new cooler (rubbermaid 10gal) with a specific cleaner prior to it's maiden voyage? I'm worried about plastic flavors transferring to the wort. I treated all the brass fittings with a vinegar/peroxide solution to remove any lead...is there a treatment necessary for the SS braid too?

Nate

Other than some water with the sanitizer of your choice in it, you shouldn't have to worry about anything else. I give my MLT a good spary after I'm done brewing, then dry it off and put the lid on it. When it comes time to use it again sometimes I'll put some water w/sanitizer in it, sometimes I won't. I've never noticed any plastic flavors at all.

Get to mashing!

I do the 'pickleing' of all my brass parts. It seems to work fine. I do always have issues with compression fittings tho. I dont know if they are made differently than the brass nipples, but the compression fittings never turn a buttery yellow color. They just stay dark the whole time and eventually the solution starts to turn to a greenish color. I dont know what this means. I probably just caused more harm than good. I've tried putting them in a fresh solution several times and the same thing always happens.

OK back to the original question. I would simply wash out the cooler w/ oxy-clean and hot water, rinse well w/ hot water and mash on. Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice all

Lucky Dog...

"Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."

dstar26t said:

Lucky Dog...

"Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."

Thank you for that. All the reading Ive done and haven't seen that. Thanks again.

BMW-LDB

I gave both of my 10 gallon drink coolers a nice wash with dish soap and hot water before the first use. I didn't sanitize... but gave it a thorough washing with really hot water.

I recommend pouring some very hot water into the tun and letting it sit for a while. I got some really bad plastic flavors in my first AG with my new tun. I think it was because it was the first time I used it and some flavors leached out.

Better safe than sorry.

Any of you guys that don't want to wash your equipment prior to brewing should not be brewing beer. That is just plain lazy.

dstar26t said:

Lucky Dog...

"Cleaning Brass

Brass is such a PITA-sandwich

WBC said:
Any of you guys that don't want to wash your equipment prior to brewing should not be brewing beer. That is just plain lazy.

are you saying this about new equipment or every time?

New equipment yes wash it before use.

Reason being I clean everything after my brew day and put everything away clean. I dont wash again before I brew the next batch. I do sanitize what comes into contact after the boil.

springer said:
are you saying this about new equipment or every time?

New equipment yes wash it before use.

Reason being I clean everything after my brew day and put everything away clean. I dont wash again before I brew the next batch. I do sanitize what comes into contact after the boil.

Yes I do wash the brew pot and the cooler/mash tun just before brewing even though I washed it last week after brewing. You would be surprised to find that it may not smell as fresh as last week and sometimes a bug or two has made a home in your cooler in that short time under the false bottom or in the tubing or drain. The ball valve also has some crud come out of it. If you don't mind that then I guess it is OK.

Back