Good thing I'm married

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
I just read an article in brew magazine about licensing for a craft brewery. I never realized it was a federal law that a person can not produce over 100 gallons of home brew a year. I have lots of family and friends that like my products, so they don't last very long...I'm passing the 40 gallon mark today. Good thing I have another adult in my household, it goes up to 200 gallons!:rockin: Anyone else have any quantity confessions?

I brew 5gal batches every weekend, so thats 52 wee......HEYYYY, i know what your up 2!!

I always wondered if it capped at 200 or if every adult in the household can brew 100gal???
Regardless, local law enforcement is not going to come and measure your daily consumption...

It's 200 per household. I guess if you produce more than that you MUST be selling it, therefore the government wants there cut? Just drink the evidence :tank:

It's 200 per household. I guess if you produce more than that you MUST be selling it, therefore the government wants there cut? Just drink the evidence :tank:

Exactly as long as you have less then 200 gallons sitting around your place they have no way of knowing how much you brewed. Though if you have over 200 gallons just sitting around you have a drinking problem. Your not drinking enough.

100 gallons a year per household for one adult and 200 cap if more than one adult in the house here.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. I encourage everyone to comply with the law to the best of their ability.

That said, I suspect this is a law to be enforced as needed. It's there to assist in prosecuting people who are running illegal (i.e., unlicensed) breweries. If you're brewing for yourself and your friends, and there aren't rumors floating around about "that guy who will sell you beer for less than you can get it at the grocery store", brewing more than 200 gallons in a year isn't going to get you in any trouble.

Here in Canada, the limit isn't how much you've made in a year, it's simply how much you have on-hand at any given time. I think it's something equivalent to 100 gallons of home-brew beer in your house at any time. ( The number 476 liters seems to be stuck in my head, but I don't know how accurate that is )

Here in Canada, the limit isn't how much you've made in a year, it's simply how much you have on-hand at any given time. I think it's something equivalent to 100 gallons of home-brew beer in your house at any time. ( The number 476 liters seems to be stuck in my head, but I don't know how accurate that is )

Yeah but ya know here in the US we all bugged, tapped, and video cameras in our eyes so our govbomb knows everything we do.:fro::ban:

Back