wort to cold??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
I finished my first home-brew in 25 years and have been waiting for some type of activity... My only concern is that I might have cooled the wort too much. The carboy wasn't warm when i pitched the yeast. Can I add yeast in a day or two or should I wait it out some....
Thanks!

No do not worry. Pitching cold is not a bad idea at all and I do it every time. Now pitching hot is a very bad thing

Not even long enough sometimes to get through reproductive phase. Wait at least another day. I've had starter yeasts take 24-30 hours to get to visibly fermenting phase.

I've had lager yeasts that took as long as 4 days before visible signs of fermentation started.

9 hours? I prescribe a little patience! You can't rush beer. It's ready when it's ready. Leave this one in primary for 2-3 weeks before you even think about bottling it, and you'll be rewarded with better beer!!

thank you. i had it 61-62. tonight it was like a whirlpool!! i just had to put a blow off tube in. worked awesome. as the man up said, patience..... thanks for your input.

Back